Re: [epl-discuss] Can we change it?

Doug,

Sorry for the tardy response. I was at EclipseCon France last week and dropped the ball.

Should we decide that a revision of the EPL is desirable, it will be a much simpler task than the switch from the CPL to EPL in 2005/06. The reason why is that when we made the switch, the EPL was not the designated success to the CPL. So we really did need to track down every contributor. The EPL did not officially become the successor to the CPL until 2009.

http://mmilinkov.wordpress.com/2009/04/16/one-small-step-towards-reducing-license-proliferation/

In the case of an “EPL 2.0”, this clause in the EPL would be applicable:

In addition, after a new version of the Agreement is published, Contributor may elect to distribute the Program (including its Contributions) under the new version.

In other words, those who wish to re-license their materials under the new license version will be able to do so without seeking the explicit agreement of every contributor. A recent example of a project which has done this with the CPL/EPL conversion is JRuby.

http://mmilinkov.wordpress.com/2013/02/13/jruby-moves-to-the-epl/

Hope that helps!

Mike Milinkovich

mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxx