RE: [epf-dev] Looking for SPEM2 supporters

Just for the record I wanted to place the response we have given in the SPEM forum:

Hi Peter,

Our decision of proposing an alternative solution should in no way be a reflection of anything you have done personally.  Our team has much respect for the dedication and thoroughness that you have brought to this project.

We simply need to have some leeway to articulate the concepts we have in mind in the context of a holistic solution that is not limited by seemingly arbitrary constraints.  You have clearly indicated in the following email and on other occasions that what we are proposing is not in the context of the current specification document and therefore cannot be acted upon.  We simply want to put a comprehensive solution forward that is freed from that limitation.

I hope you don’t view this as a last minute effort by Osellus to impede the progress of SPEM 2.0.  Process modeling and enactment is all we do and every week of delay in the ratification of SPEM 2.0 has an impact on us.  This is why we have attended nearly every conference call and meeting right from the beginning of the project.

I am reluctant to quote all the instances where we have raised specific issues that were ignored or put to the side because I don’t believe a confrontational approach would be productive.  Suffice it to say that when we finally sent out a documented collection of some of the high level issues we were told by IBM: “Can you agree with this proposal or would you prefer to work on your own specification?  Please, let me know as we still intend to submit this specification next Monday as we promised to the OMG in Atlanta.  Would you like to be on the submitter list for that document or do you want to work on your own model instead?”  We are simply responding to that call.

We are very interested to work with the current submission team that is led by IBM and, in any case, see this as inevitable if we are going to arrive at a single meaningful proposal that is ready for ratification.  However, based on our experience to date, we feel it would be more efficient if you first give us an opportunity to document our proposal in its entirety before we can put the two solutions side by side and work on discussing the differences collaboratively.  I am confident that we will gain and not lose time.

In regards to SPEM’s relationship to EPF, I am at a loss as to how the two projects can be separate when IBM maintains such tight dependency between the two.  Peter, the perception--and I really only mean perception-- that IBM is leaving with us and many other players is that the product is out in the market, and now every effort is being made by IBM to force the specifications of an open industry body to be the same as that of the product.  If this is just a wrong perception, I apologize for even stating it.  If it is not, we would greatly appreciate IBM’s support in allowing this specification to evolve into a meaningful and relevant specification.

Thanks,

Kamal and Osellus SPEM Team.

<<<<<<<<