Re: [modeling-pmc] Re: [emft-dev] Proposal for Texo Component

Hi, Martin,

Certainly, there's nothing blocking a WTP component from using modeling
technologies; indeed, they do this already.  Other projects such as STP and
DTP go even beyond WTP in their re-use and extension of our modeling
frameworks.  Also, WTP is an extensible platform for web tooling just as
Modeling is an extensible platform for model tooling; this is just what
Eclipse projects are about.

I guess my point is really whether the purpose of Texo aligns more with the
mandate of the WTP project or the Modeling project, from the perspective of
its target user community.  I'm not sure that the technology integrations
are as important a consideration.  I definitely understand that there are
good reasons for both alignments.

Anyway, I raised the question because I hadn't seen much discussion of it
-- probably I just missed something.  I'm coming rather late into this
discussion, and I don't want to derail it.  My motivation is that,
personally, I'd like to see our modeling technology reaching out and making
more of an impact on the rest of Eclipse.  Wouldn't it be great to see all
Eclipse projects not only building on the core platform, but also embracing
the MDD promise that is the Modeling project's raison d'etre?

Just my $0.02,

Christian

Christian W. Damus
Component Lead, Eclipse OCL and EMF MQ/MT/VF
IBM Rational Software