[emf-dev] EMF 2.0 and 2.1 compatibility

Hi,

We have an application that is based on EMF 2.0 that we would like to
have working with EMF 2.1. For the most part our application uses the
public EMF 2.0 APIs but there are places where we refer internal EMF
APIs. I would like to know if there are backward compatibility issues
in such a scenario.

One such internal interface that we've identified in our codebase is
InternalEObject which the Javadocs describe as:

"Any EObject is assumed to also implement InternalEObject, which
provides lower-level access that is not necessarily suitable for
general consumption but is required for maintaining the EMF support
mechanisms."

Does anyone know whether using InternalEObject breaks compatibility
between EMF 2.0 and 2.1? We are also in the process of identifying EMF
touchpoints to see whether we are using any internal APIs whose
implementation might change between versions. One problem that we've
run into is in determining whether an API is internal to EMF or not.
Apart from the naming conventions of prefixing "Internal" are there
any other guidelines to know which internal EMF classes we should not
use directly? Could someone refer me to the public APIs that are
guaranteed to be backwards compatible between EMF versions 2.1 and
2.0?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Anuradha