Re: [egit-dev] Git Staging view enhancements to contribute

Thanks, Matthias.  My plan is to make my contributions incrementally, starting with the feature that lets you control how the files are presented (Flat/Tree/Compressed modes), which I'll submit for review soon.  More comments inline.

> this looks great, nice that you plan to contribute these improvements.
>
> Some comments on the screenshots you sent:
>
> names:
> - I think I prefer the view name "Staging View"
> - I am not yet sure if I like "Working Tree Files"

This possible renaming would only be something to consider when/if the change was accepted to allow the top section to show files other than "pending" files, in which case "Unstaged Changes" could be misleading.

> menu actions in the details pane
> - I don't understand why there is a "Commit..." action and what action it
> initiates
>   (there is a commit button below the commit message editor already)
> - the current EGit Staging View got a few more actions like "delete, ignore"

What I did in our view is make StagingEntry adapt to IResource, IFile, ResourceMapping, and then registered the context menus in StagingView, so that contributed actions would appear on the menus.   This actually resulted in the context menus showing a number of actions that we didn't really want to see there, besides the ones that we felt were missing (Show History, Show Annotations, etc.).  So I then filtered out contributed actions that I didn't want to see in menuAboutToShow.  While this is OK for our application, it's obviously not a clean approach for EGit.  Probably a better solution is to just continue to add actions that are discovered to be missing, as you've done with "delete" and "ignore".

> Mylyn tab:
> - not sure if we want that since in the full blown workbench you may simply
> use the separate Mylyn views. D&D to associate a task with a new commit is
> a nice idea. I'd like to play with your layout so I'd appreciate if you could
> provide it for review
> - if a task is associated with a commit message would the task tab show the
> details for the associated task ? this would be handy ...

As I mentioned, this is one of the more complicated potential enhancements due to dependencies, and it would be one of the later ones that I would consider tackling.  In our implementation, the task tab doesn't show details for tasks, but the task editor can be opened on a task from there.

> Looking forward to review and test your contributions.
>
> --
> Matthias

Back to the top