Re: [egit-dev] No visual feedback on chosen tag

On 15 February 2011 16:49, Lay, Stefan <stefan.lay@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Actually it is already possible in EGit to checkout an arbitrary commit for the whole repository. You can do that from the History View on any commit from the context menu, using the "Commit" action. The result is that you get a so-called detached head: You have the content of the files from the selected commit in your workspace, but you have not changed your branch (as it is the case if you do a "Reset"). You are not on a branch anymore, however, you can create a new one to start developing from there.

I presume you mean 'checkout'?

What you've described is checkout <branch>.  The action that's missing
is the one described: I want the working tree to reflect the contents
of a commit AND have the HEAD unchanged.  AFAICS there's no equivalent
to git checkout -- <paths>. (Though a checkout followed by a reset
would work).

It should be easy to revert contents of a file or the tree to a
specific commit without creating a detached head.  Perhaps it's just
an artifact of what users from other VCSs expect, but being able to
put the repo. into a state where HEAD isn't pointing to the tip of a
branch is likely an advanced feature and will stump new users.

Cheers,
James

Back to the top