From: James Blackburn [mailto:jamesblackburn@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Mittwoch, 26. Januar 2011 11:22
To: Baumgart, Jens
Cc: egit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [egit-dev] .git inside project is problematic

Adding egit-dev...  It's annoying that this in the only eclipse list
that doesn't cc itself by default

On 26 January 2011 09:25, Baumgart, Jens <jens.baumgart@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> If you share a project with Git and create a new Git repository the proposed
> repository root is the project folder.
> As a result of this the .git folder is part of the project.
> I see at least three issues with this:
>

> Unnecessary resources are created for all files contained in .git
> Eclipse services like decoration process .git => performance issue
> You can't add a second project to the repository later

The Workspace has support for handling team private resources cleanly, see:
           IResource#setTeamPrivateMember
Unless they request it, users of the IResource API ignore team private
members when they iterate over the resource tree.  When consuming
resource deltas, interested listeners (likely only the git plugins
themseleves) can explicitly request to see changes to team private
resources.

Cheers,
James

Back to the top