[ee4j-pmc] licensing questions for Jakarta TCKs
  • From: Ed Bratt <ed.bratt@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2021 13:43:24 -0700
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=oracle.com; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=oracle.com; dkim=pass header.d=oracle.com; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-SenderADCheck; bh=+VI92km28cNF4MqYfmLuh8hYn5asESTLS1uHubLMskA=; b=YJUHQegKOO1FNe29v9V+fbA5zlHQ76+dZP42KaQQmhBpV+KfP8ipKN3HEzuhb5Q8xHuW/MFcA3mcvPRtt1mS+CTesUlizRwhigaqHssgeyaFSr/CRiajeJ1Cqlvm+5K89MavakfWeaa8kDm1SsksHa2xdlU3rDfBsnAfDF1zHYvna8IyueFWAM7rM/G+OPcjh9pXA6GZzeRSQe+1bFfeNxtia3sM4MC65rT3Fm4lXWGoz0OcOA/WBfn97OyAZ4ifJNJzs5L50cysZX+fjiBpZrdvSgkxoBzB+a7l1z2nT0zKw4+mQJ4tPrBZxHAP7HedZP9F7RJKX7oMOXTk3IP+tQ==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=n89782MMdHXDc3oC0spa5Ssqz7814H/NGEX5QTKU2FmxUvLugq9W2Oug8EzD436vWpCrssijwC+y8veMlcZWda3dTUQPVobVTo8arSTHhR1EvXKOYhEnVSOoMUyjhUE1IdQYa3z/99CqiO5xw7WlRckhOAogFXmfiap435jFu0J8X45zrMjA7cp32rEP6tbB11x34GhVZw79Tjt6aorFr79eA7NCHiNftv3dCcDt/Ha+Xwxg6VExnpMQGG2Vuo9DNzN3lAarR4JOFExqzNjCIfaubshgJs3wvsX4ME6r+HAUkZWLiZ6+4efqJVDulngguPOXeExZtBOJJapi26FhaQ==

I've been thinking about how we are going to move forward with the Jakarta TCKs. I've bumped into a couple of license related questions. From what I understand, it seems that the PMC might be a good place to start seeking clarity about those questions. I know what I think the answer might be, but I wanted to check with the PMC to be sure:

1. Should nightly TCK builds be released under the specification project license? (I think many TCKs are currently released under EPL, regardless of what their project license is.)

2. If we move TCK code from the Platform TCK project (where the project license is EPL + GPL), to a project with a different license -- should we change the license for the code and the nightly TCK builds?

These next questions relate to a proposed migration for TCK releases available via Maven Central. We have determined that dual license released artifacts satisfy Sonatype's Open Source license requirements. As the TCK builds are migrated to Mvn, the requirement that TCK kits be made available through a Maven repository will become just that -- a requirement.

A) Do the project teams prepare the dual license text files, or do those need to come from an Eclipse entity?

B) Are dual-licensed TCKs allowed, from the normative download under jakarta.ee/specifications? (i.e. linked to the Specification pages and promoted by a member of the Spec. committee into https://download.eclipse.org/jakartaee/*)

Ideally, I believe we'd like to produce nightly kits licensed under the Project license (i.e. without the TCK license), and only produce one kit with the TCK license once it's been determined ready for promotion. Dual license (I think that would be the project license and the TCK license), would be easiest from a production stand-point -- This would also allow us to accept certification requests from Maven Central TCKs OR from the Specification downloads since they'd both have the same SHA-256 sum.

I think, under no circumstances would we endorse that the TCKs only be available at Maven Central (or some suitable 3rd party repository) -- but if that's also a possible question. In other words, something like: a normative TCK MUST be available from the Specifications download repository. In addition, that artifact may be made available from Maven Central. Certification requests must include the location from which their TCK was obtained.

Please advise or help me know where I should pursue these questions further.

Thanks

-- Ed

Back to the top