Re: [ee4j-community] Jakarta EE logo selection process - next steps

Hello Paul,

I don't know if I am the only one. But I find this mail deeply disturbing.

You cannot possibly have missed that there were quite a few people who were not very happy about the approach to selecting the logo.

I myself do not really care one way or the other since I think there are more important issues at stake than the logo selection.
But just ignoring those people means their opinions do not even warrant a response. I think this very rude and this is no way to behave in a community.

Had you acknowledged those protests and stated an opinion that it is currently more important to move forward than having a long discussion along with pointing out a way on how to change the logo again at a later stage, I could have accepted this.

But I don't think building a community by ignoring dissenting opinions will work.

Best regards,
  Niklas

All,

We have now closed the submission process.

Thank you for the many proposed logos, and associated comments.  The contributions have been very useful.

As described earlier in the process, the next steps are the following:

  • The Eclipse Foundation has narrowed the list of submitted logos to a much shorter list of candidate logos, based on the criteria laid out in the design brief.  In the interest of disclosure, this list of candidate logos is attached.

  • We are not soliciting input on this shorter list.  Rather, the next step is for the Eclipse Foundation to trim this list to a much shorter list of final candidate logos.  This process will be driven by the Foundation’s marketing team, based on their experience and the intended objectives of the logo, as well as a much deeper dive into legal and other related issues.  We thank you for your trust in us doing this in the best interest of the Jakarta EE community.

    From this process, the list of candidate logos will be trimmed to 2-4 final candidate logos.  We are targeting completing this process by mid-next week.

  • We will hold a community vote to determine which of these final candidate logos should be the chosen logo.

  • Once the community vote is completed, the Foundation will take final steps to adopt the logo, and make an announcement to the community.

Again, thank you to all for the input thus far, and we look forward to your input during the community vote.

Regards,
Paul