Re: [ee4j-community] EE4J Project Proposals

Werner Keil wrote on 11/25/17 09:44 AM:
What's also weird about JAX-RS is, that it was seemingly "forgotten" when all of Java EE 8 (and earlier JSRs) moved to a new place under
It wasn't forgotten.  We chose to leave it there at the beginning to avoid disrupting the existing community using that project at GitHub while we moved all the other projects from java.net to GitHub.  We planned to move the other existing GitHub projects to the javaee GitHub organization, but the move to the Eclipse Foundation made such plan irrelevant.

What is not mentioned in the proposals of either, but seems far more important IMO than whether it's called "Eclipse RESTful Web Services API for Java", "JAX-RS" or something else is backward compatibility with the Java EE 8 or 7 versions of these APIs. Is the new follow-up API allowed to stay under "javax.ws.rs" or immediately forced to refactoring into something else? (like "ee4j.ws.rs", "ee.<something>.ws.rs" or e.g. "org.eclipse.ws.rs" just to mention some hypothetical examples)

Yes, we understand the issues very well.  We hope that specs will be able to continue to use the existing javax.* packages, but that's part of the larger trademark licensing discussion and the details are yet to be worked out.

Back to the top