Re: [ee4j-community] EE4J Project Proposals

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 8:07 PM, Mike Milinkovich <mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I would not characterize the existing project proposals as including any specifications. They are including the interfaces. There is an important difference.

Are that just the plain interfaces without the Javadoc? As in Java EE specs and certainly in JSF important parts of the spec are covered by the Javadoc and not just or not at al by the spec document.

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms

The specifications will be done in a new, to-be-defined process hosted at the Eclipse Foundation. That process may or may not be run as Eclipse projects. To be honest, we haven't even really started thinking about it.

On 2017-11-21 1:51 PM, Sebastian Daschner wrote:

Hi there,

It's great to see some progress. However, there are a few things in that announcement that puzzle me. Apologies upfront for any stupid questions, I'm just trying to make sense out of it.

First of all, these project proposals seem to throw both specifications and RIs into one pot. I guess it makes sense to create Eclipse projects for implementations such as Tyrus or Jersey. Are the specifications also planned to be incorporated as Eclipse projects? Or will there be standardization processes, what the JSRs with EGs are today? Especially in regard to the overall platform, which JSR 366 is today. I'm not familiar with what is planned to be the substitute for JSRs & EGs, but maybe it makes sense for the Java EE community to see some suggestion there first.

Do the specifications need to adopt the name Eclipse? In the EE4J FAQ #7 it says that the intention is to continue to use the former JCP specification names, such as 'Java API for RESTful Web Services'. I know that names are what people get religious about, but still I believe that we should not choose some names for specifications before the name for what will succeed Java EE (e.g. Open EE) is carved into stone. IMO 'Eclipse RESTful Web Services API for Java' is a bad substitute for JAX-RS.

I only checked the Eclipse analog for the JAX-RS so far, but that refers to JSR 339, which is JAX-RS 2.0, not JSR 370. Since EE4J should be aligned with EE 8, shouldn't that refer to the current specification?

Cheers,
Sebastian
(JSR 370, 374, 382)