[ee4j-community] IBM supports the move of Java EE to the Eclipse Foundation

Hi,
Although I have been active in the various email discussions and voiced my support at JavaOne this past week, I thought it might be good to post explicit support of this move and indicate our continued involvement in the EE4J activities.

In case you missed it, IBM announced their support of "Open Java EE" at our Community Keynote last week at JavaOne:
http://video.oracle.com/detail/videos/most-recent/video/5600375079001/ibm-javaone-keynote-10-5-2017

IBM has been an active participant in many of the Java EE expert groups in the past and we plan to continue to participate in similar "expert groups" under the Eclipse umbrella.  We have also identified a few key technologies that we feel are instrumental to the success of Java microservices -- jax-rs, json-b, json-p, and security.  If the EE4J community does not produce or nominate leaders for these technologies, then we would be happy to provide a leadership role.  Regardless, we will continue to participate in these respective communities (and several others).

And, of course, IBM will continue to lead the Java Batch efforts.  Java Batch is currently developed and maintained in a github repo under the Apache v2 license.  Since the main goal of the EE4J effort is to initially get Java EE to an open-governance model, the focus will be to first get the Oracle artifacts moved over to EE4J.  Once this process is established and is moving forward, then we will consider moving Java Batch as well.  Since all of the Java Batch artifacts (including the TCK) are already Apache v2 licensed, the move to Eclipse is not as urgent or immediate.

As many of you know, we have also been very instrumental in the MicroProfile efforts -- both from a leadership as well as technical contribution perspectives.  We will continue to drive the MicroProfile efforts in parallel with the EE4J efforts.  As Ian put it in the video above, EE4J is moving in next door to MicroProfile.  Once EE4J becomes established, I'm sure we will need to evaluate the future direction of MicroProfile.  Do we continue with MicroProfile as the innovative arm of EE4J?  Or, does it meld under the EE4J umbrella?  We need to take a wait-and-see view on this direction.  And, that's why we won't sit idle with the MicroProfile efforts.  We are continuing to define new specifications for inclusion in future versions of MicroProfile.

We look forward to this EE4J effort and will continue to work with both Eclipse and Oracle (and the other partners) during this process.

Kevin Sutter
STSM, MicroProfile and Java EE architect
phone: tl-553-3620 (office), 507-253-3620 (office)
LinkedIn: