Re: [ee4j-community] Licensing Question

On 2017-10-04 11:48 PM, John D. Ament wrote:
Would it be possible for the charter to declare only EPL v2 as the default license?  My concern is that having a purposely incompatible license (GPLv2) we lead to potential licensing issues.  For instance, this will preclude The Apache Software Foundation from being able to use the software.

For those unaware, GPLv2 is incompatible due to the patents claims within it.  EPL is actually closer to AL in this manner.

John,

You are misunderstanding the licensing.

The EPLv2 has a concept called "Secondary Licenses" which allows downstream adopters to combine EPLv2-licensed code with GPL-licensed code and distribute the combination under the GPL. If an adopter does not want to use the Secondary License (e.g. GPLv2 plus Classpath Exception), then this entire construct can be simply ignored.

The end result is that the Apache Software Foundation will be able to consume artifacts from EE4J purely under the EPLv2 without any concerns.

Hope that helps!

Thanks.

Back to the top