Re: [ee4j-community] Incorporation of other specifications

On 2017-10-03 2:20 AM, Emmanuel Bernard wrote:
The charter mentions
"EE4J is open to incorporation, integration, and support for innovations that enhance the development, deployment, and management of server-side Java applications and microservices. These includes innovations introduced in other open source projects, including closely related projects. Eclipse MicroProfile is such a project that EE4J will review as a source of innovations for incorporation into EE4J."

One can incorporate other Open Source projects and i imagine by extension other Open Source specifications. But I wonder about non Open Source specs or maybe Open Source specs whose licensing (or IP) do not work for the Eclipse foundation. In the past the JCP has "rubber stamped" other important standards and we probably should have done more of this vs inventing our own.

Any thoughts on that point?

Emmanuel,

I am having a hard time imaging a concrete example of "...non Open Source specs or maybe Open Source specs whose licensing (or IP) do not work for the Eclipse foundation." Could you provide an example of what you're thinking about?

FWIW, Eclipse Foundation projects already implement "non Open Source specs" such as MQTT, LWM2M and OPC-UA. But every time we implement a spec we do have to review its licensing to ensure that it can be implemented in open source. But I am not even sure that an "Open Source spec" is.

--
Mike Milinkovich
mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

EclipseCon Europe 2017