Re: [eclipselink-users] NullPointerException in PersistenceObjectAttributeAccessor

This exception seems to occur when trying to set a value in a null object. I am not sure what would cause EclipseLink to try to do that. Can you provide any other information about what is occuring?

I notice that your example query selects "freeResponseIds" but does not link it to anything else in your query. (i.e. you select t.id, t.text with "t." but freeResponseIds without the "t.") What is the goal here?

-Tom

Laird Nelson wrote:
I have an application that runs a simple JPA native query. 99 out of 100 times the query works fine. Then every now and again I get this:

at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.descriptors.PersistenceObjectAttributeAccessor.setAttributeValueInObject(PersistenceObjectAttributeAccessor.java:46) at org.eclipse.persistence.mappings.DatabaseMapping.setAttributeValueInObject(DatabaseMapping.java:1426) at org.eclipse.persistence.mappings.DatabaseMapping.readFromRowIntoObject(DatabaseMapping.java:1317) at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.descriptors.ObjectBuilder.buildAttributesIntoObject(ObjectBuilder.java:343) at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.descriptors.ObjectBuilder.refreshObjectIfRequired(ObjectBuilder.java:3333) at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.descriptors.ObjectBuilder.buildWorkingCopyCloneFromRow(ObjectBuilder.java:1495) at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.descriptors.ObjectBuilder.buildObjectInUnitOfWork(ObjectBuilder.java:559) at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.descriptors.ObjectBuilder.buildObject(ObjectBuilder.java:496) at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.descriptors.ObjectBuilder.buildObject(ObjectBuilder.java:455) at org.eclipse.persistence.queries.ObjectLevelReadQuery.buildObject(ObjectLevelReadQuery.java:723) at org.eclipse.persistence.queries.ReadAllQuery.registerResultInUnitOfWork(ReadAllQuery.java:743) at org.eclipse.persistence.queries.ReadAllQuery.executeObjectLevelReadQuery(ReadAllQuery.java:424) at org.eclipse.persistence.queries.ObjectLevelReadQuery.executeDatabaseQuery(ObjectLevelReadQuery.java:1080) at org.eclipse.persistence.queries.DatabaseQuery.execute(DatabaseQuery.java:808) at org.eclipse.persistence.queries.ObjectLevelReadQuery.execute(ObjectLevelReadQuery.java:1040) at org.eclipse.persistence.queries.ReadAllQuery.execute(ReadAllQuery.java:384) at org.eclipse.persistence.queries.ObjectLevelReadQuery.executeInUnitOfWork(ObjectLevelReadQuery.java:1126) at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.sessions.UnitOfWorkImpl.internalExecuteQuery(UnitOfWorkImpl.java:2904) at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.sessions.AbstractSession.executeQuery(AbstractSession.java:1508) at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.sessions.AbstractSession.executeQuery(AbstractSession.java:1490) at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.sessions.AbstractSession.executeQuery(AbstractSession.java:1464) at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.jpa.EJBQueryImpl.executeReadQuery(EJBQueryImpl.java:484) at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.jpa.EJBQueryImpl.getResultList(EJBQueryImpl.java:741)

Once the query has failed in this manner, it will continue to fail until application restart.

I am using the EclipseLink version that is bundled with Glassfish 3.1b36.

My query is SELECT t.id <http://t.id> AS ID, 'FreeResponse' AS ANSWERSETNAME, t.text AS TEXT, freeResponseIds AS FREERESPONSEIDS FROM FreeResponse t

What is EclipseLink trying to tell me here?

Thanks,
Laird