Re: [eclipselink-users] enum access cast issue

No, I have a list of enums, not strings.  I'm not using the @Enumerated
annotation, but the docs say the default is to store them as ordinals, so I
assume that should be what it's doing (based on JPA 2.0 docs).  In three of
four cases, this happens correctly and it reads the objects as enums, but in
one case, it gets confused and thinks the objects are strings.  It then
complains that it can't convert them to enums.

The list in question is part of a Predicate object.  The Predicate object is
included in a Clause object and I have four different types of clauses that
I use.  When I access three of the four clause types, everything is fine,
but one clause type causes it to fail and I have no idea what could be
different.  The clause object is the same but the function is distinguished
by another enum value stored in the clause.

It doesn't make any sense to me because it's the exact same lines of code
that work in one case but not in another.  How can that be?  There is
nothing different about the way I treat and access a Predicate object based
on the type of clause and it goes through exactly the same code path.

Even beyond that, in the logs I included which show one good case and one
failed case, the type of clause is the same.  In the first case that
succeeds, I am retrieving the value by starting with the clause object, and
in the case that fails, I am retrieving the value by starting with another
object that includes the clause which then of course includes the predicate
object.  The reason I say that three out of four clause types work is
because with the other three types, I can include them in other objects
nested as much as I need and the predicate values and verbForms are always
handled correctly.

You can see in the log I included that in the first case (starting from the
clause object), the object is correctly understood as a VerbForm enum with
the value of ED, and in the failure case (starting from another object that
includes the clause object), the value is still ED, but the system thinks it
needs to convert from a string to an enum.  I'm simply accessing it with
verbForms.get(indexValue) where the index value is zero in both cases.

I'm really baffled.  Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Renee

(BTW, Sorry if the included messages are a little weird.  My browser doesn't
seem to be handling them well.)