From: eclipselink-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:eclipselink-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Swierzynski, Rafal
Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2010 1:34 PM
To: eclipselink-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [eclipselink-users] Native SQL query and custom column mapping problem

Hi EclipseLink users and developers,

we are using EclipseLink 2.0.0 and encountered a problem with native SQL support and custom table name mappings. The problem is that is doesn't always work. Our @Column mappings contain the 'name' attribute, like this (whole source code available as attachment):

@Id

@Column(name = "Id")

@GeneratedValue(strategy = GenerationType.IDENTITY)

private Long id;

@Column(name = "Name")

private String name;

Please notice that the column names are camel case. Our tests show that it works with SQL Server only, whereas it fails for HSQLDB, H2 and PostgreSQL (tested only with these, not sure about others). It throws an exception saying that the id property cannot be null:

org.eclipse.persistence.exceptions.QueryException

Exception Description: The primary key read from the row [DatabaseRecord(

             => 1

             => Jason Bourne)] during the execution of the query was detected to be null.  Primary keys must not contain null.

Query: ReadAllQuery(referenceClass=Person sql="select pe.* from Person pe")

            at org.eclipse.persistence.exceptions.QueryException.nullPrimaryKeyInBuildingObject(QueryException.java:863)

            at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.descriptors.ObjectBuilder.buildObject(ObjectBuilder.java:468)

            at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.descriptors.ObjectBuilder.buildObject(ObjectBuilder.java:441)

            at org.eclipse.persistence.queries.ObjectLevelReadQuery.buildObject(ObjectLevelReadQuery.java:635)

            at org.eclipse.persistence.queries.ReadAllQuery.registerResultInUnitOfWork(ReadAllQuery.java:838)

            at org.eclipse.persistence.queries.ReadAllQuery.executeObjectLevelReadQuery(ReadAllQuery.java:464)

            at org.eclipse.persistence.queries.ObjectLevelReadQuery.executeDatabaseQuery(ObjectLevelReadQuery.java:997)

            at org.eclipse.persistence.queries.DatabaseQuery.execute(DatabaseQuery.java:675)

            at org.eclipse.persistence.queries.ObjectLevelReadQuery.execute(ObjectLevelReadQuery.java:958)

            at org.eclipse.persistence.queries.ReadAllQuery.execute(ReadAllQuery.java:432)

            at org.eclipse.persistence.queries.ObjectLevelReadQuery.executeInUnitOfWork(ObjectLevelReadQuery.java:1021)

            at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.sessions.UnitOfWorkImpl.internalExecuteQuery(UnitOfWorkImpl.java:2863)

            at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.sessions.AbstractSession.executeQuery(AbstractSession.java:1225)

            at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.sessions.AbstractSession.executeQuery(AbstractSession.java:1207)

            at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.sessions.AbstractSession.executeQuery(AbstractSession.java:1181)

            at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.jpa.EJBQueryImpl.executeReadQuery(EJBQueryImpl.java:453)

            at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.jpa.EJBQueryImpl.getResultList(EJBQueryImpl.java:669)

            at test.NativeQueryTest.test(NativeQueryTest.java:29)

... Removed 22 stack frames

with the id being 1 in this example (in the test, it the entity is persisted first, and then re-read). It doesn't matter if the second level cache is turned off or if I clear() the entity manager, or both (which I think is a good thing as it is consistent ;d).

After some debugging it turns out that the driver for SQL Server (net.sourceforge.jtds:jtds:1.2.4 in maven parlance) returns the tables from the result metadata with mixed case, and it works fine with the method org.eclipse.persistence.internal.databaseaccess.DatabaseAccessor.sortFields(Vector fields, Vector columnNames). However, it doesn't work with other databases because: PostgreSQL (driver postgresql:postgresql:8.4-701.jdbc4) returns metadata in lowercase, whereas HQSLDB (org.hsqldb:hsqldb:1.0.8.10) and H2 (com.h2database:h2:1.1.118) return the metadata in uppercase. There is a setting to force transforming returned metadata to uppercase for PostgreSQL (as described here: http://wiki.eclipse.org/EclipseLink/FAQ/JPA/PostgreSQL) but this only works if the mappings use only uppercase (as if you use the default, for example), which is not true in our case.

When the @Id is mapped so that it works (like all uppercase), there is no exception reported about the id being null, but the entity may not be completely initialized - the other attribute is null if second level cache is turned off and I clear() the entity manager (what basically means that the data is re-read from the database). This might be a 'silent killer' in some scenarios.

After looking into the code and debugging, there is a method org.eclipse.persistence.internal.databaseaccess.DatabasePlatform.setShouldIgnoreCaseOnFieldComparisons(boolean) and an appropriate getter, and it is actually used by the mentioned sortFields() method, but I cannot find a way to configure this property in persistence.xml, I also didn't find (via eclipse IDE's References -> Project / Workspace) any code that calls it. So, it looks like I must call it myself, and when I add this call (with the parmeter set to true) to our test case, it passes. Looks like a solution, but:

1. it ties the code of our JPA module to EclipseLink because of this call, which we would like to avoid

2. as it is a static method with a static field as an implementation, the setting is inherently JVM / classloader-wide, so every EL persistence unit within the JVM / classloader would have it set (we have only one unit at this time, but still this might be a problem for others I suppose)

To fix this, I added another property called 'eclipselink.jdbc.case-insensitive-columns' which resembles the 'eclipselink.jdbc.uppercase-columns' property in implementation, and changed 5 classes slightly to make use of it. Now, the tests work fine.

My question is: is there any other way to have support for camel case mappings? I really did my best to find it, but couldn't. Still, I may be missing something important.

Also, this is not just a test case, it actually is our requirement to have mixed case attributes, support many databases, and use native queries (we have some scenarios that prevents us from using JPQL only).

For more input, I attach a maven2 project with the sample entity and a test for it. Also, I attach my 'patch' (the 5 modified files I mentioned). To test it, one would have to compile the files, replace them in the EL jar and uncomment the last property in persistence.xml. (I could attach the modified EL jar, but as it is 5mb I think I should not. If you want me to do it, please provide me with an appropriate link for upload). Is it possible (if there is no other way to fix our issue) that the patch be incorporated into EL?

Best regards,

Rafał