[eclipselink-users] New instances and resolving mappings

Hello all,

I am faced with a problem which I am unable to get a grip on. This is the
scenario:

I instantiate a POJO which is annotated as an Entity. In the POJO there are
annotations which are used to reference other tables in the database, like:

    @ManyToOne(fetch=FetchType.LAZY,optional=false)
    @JoinColumn(name="LEVNR", referencedColumnName = "LEVNR", insertable =
false, updatable = false)
    private Leverancier leverancier;

    public Leverancier getLeverancier() {
        return leverancier;
    }
    public void setLeverancier(Leverancier leverancier) {
        this.leverancier = leverancier;
    }

When I now invoke getLeverancier() on the instantiated object, I would
expect a trip to the database to get the information. However, this never
happens, 'leverancier' remains null and the application falls over. The
information to retrieve the required leverancier is set-up correctly
(LEVNR).

Does the newly created entity need be managed in order for mappings to work?
Am I overlooking anything?

Thanks...all help is appreciated