Re: [eclipselink-users] Odd use case

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 11:47 AM, Tom Ware <tom.ware@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 If I am reading correctly, the relationship between Document and GLaAcounts is not fully represented in the database (the effectiveDate field is not in any table).  Is that correct?

Yes.  A Document has 4/5 of a foreign key :-) to a GLAccount.  The remaining component is a fiscal year.

Under normal circumstances--which these aren't!--I'd introduce a join table, that would associate a Document on the "left" side with a GLAccount on the "right" side, adding a fiscal year field as an additional property of the join relationship (ASCII art follows):

Document      JoinTable      GLAccount
========      =========      =========
pk       <--- docPK
              four fks  ---> four pks
              fiscal yr ---> fiscal yr

Instead what I have is this (ASCII art):

Document      GLAccount
========      =========
pk            fiscal yr
four fks ---> four pks

...and effectively cannot change the database.

How are GLAAcounts and Documents inserted into the database?  Are they read-only?

Nope.

Unless I am mistaken above, I do not think there is anything as simple as what you suggest as a solution.  The things that come to mind that might help:

- In JPA you could use named native queries and result set mappings to somehow buildyour objects

Yeah; was looking for some sort of sugar to help here.

- EclipseLink allows customization of the queries that are used to traverse mapping.  Depending on exactly what you are trying to acheive, you may be able to use a DescriptorCustomizer to access the query that traverses the Document->GlaAccounts mapping and ammend it to accept some additional criteria.

Interesting; will look.

Thanks,
Laird

Back to the top