[eclipselink-dev] Please read: compilation dependency transaction.

All,

I am planning on merging a transaction soon that will change the naming of four of our "compilation dependencies". I need you to:
- be aware of the change (this may effect IDE development, and QA testing).
- let me know if any dependency is no longer necessary (in several cases they seem to be included for JDK 1.5 compilation only).
- let me know if you have concerns.

As you may be aware Tycho gets dependencies from P2. That means that any dependencies we do not get from orbit, need to be in a "compile dependency" repository.

To date, I have been manually creating and publishing this repository, however, every time it needs to change there is a hiccup due to the manual nature of the generation. Therefore, I am working on automating the process.

Here's the hitch, P2 requires that the bundle artifact be named using the convention "<Bundle-SymbolicName>_<Bundle-Version>.jar". While valid OSGi jars, the four jars in question are missing the qualifier segment in the filename, so are not recognized by P2.

The transaction changes the filenames as outlined below, and the various build files to match:
javax.ejb_3.0.0.jar      -> javax.ejb_3.0.0.v200906010428.jar
javax.jms_1.1.0.jar      -> javax.jms_1.1.0.v200906010428.jar
javax.resource_1.5.0.jar -> javax.resource_1.5.0.v200906010428.jar
javax.xml.soap_1.3.0.jar -> javax.xml.soap_1.3.0.v200906010428.jar

FYI:  In the near future, I'm planning on dynamically generating a local "target platform" repository from orbit and our static compilation dependencies at build-time. This will resolve two issues:
- it will keep our runtime dependencies in-sync with orbit (currently a manual process).
- it will ensure that the Tycho build (which uses P2), and Ant build (which uses a local classpath) utilize the same dependencies for compilation and distribution.
However, this too depends upon the changes outlined above.

Thanks.

-Eric

Back to the top