From: Peter Krogh
Sent: Friday, February 04, 2011 9:54 AM
To: eclipselink-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [eclipselink-dev] EclipseLink - JPA 2.0 provider

Hi all,

Since version 2.0, EclipseLink has been both a JPA 1.0 and JPA 2.0 provider, able to work on both EE5 and EE6 containers.  Namely, EclipseLink can run with either the javax.persistence 1.0 or the javax.persistence 2.0 api classes.  In order to do this, great hoops were jumped through, that has had impact on packaging, and configuration.

The current plan in trunk is to remove official support as a JPA 1.0 provider.  As the JPA 2.0 spec is fully backward compatible with 1.0, your JPA 1.0 applications will work on trunk.  In short this means that if you are doing JPA in EclipseLink, you will need the javax.persistence 2.0 classes on your classpath.

In SE if you are currently using 1.0 javax.persistence classes, this will likely be a simple classpath change.  In most cases you will be able to run JPA 2.0 in EE5 containers, by simply providing the JPA 2.0 javax.persistence classes on you application classpath.

If you have any concern with this plan, please feel free to contact me or Doug Clarke.

Peter