Re: [eclipselink-dev] I need your views (Test Build changes)...

Hi Eric,

My vote is for the static approach.  If I want to test eclipselink.jar then I run the "test-against-eclipselink-jar" target, then I'm confident about eclipselink.jar.  Otherwise to test a specific set of binaries I need to examine my environment before the test run (as I understand it you would need to delete eclipselink.jar in order to test the bundles, then delete the bundles to test the classes?).

I see the unit tests playing several roles:
  1. Unit testing the code
    For this particular goal multiple approaches are valid.

  2. Verifying the installer bits (i.e. eclipselink.jar)
    Based on my experience with OXM, JAXB, and SDO tests my position is that we should use static testing.  Before we specifically tested against the eclipselink.jar for these tests there was an instance where we failed to detect that the eclipselink.jar was being built without some of the required classes.  As our bleeding edge customers regularly uptake nightly builds we need to ensure the jars are valid.

  3. Verifying the appropriate dependencies
    We need to avoid any kitchen sink approaches to testing.  At one point the OXM layer became dependent on the JPA jars, this wasn't caught because at the time the test frameworks included too many unnecessary dependencies.  The test frameworks should be set up with minimal class paths.
-Blaise

Eric Gwin wrote:
Two idealogical items were brought up this week regarding the test builds (I've specifically added an assumed third (disallowing classes)):

1. What to test against:
   - Most tests used to throw the kitchen sink into the classpath to get them to work (eclipselink.jar, bundles, and classes
     as well as all possible dependencies)
   - SDO and MOXy always test nightly against the eclipselink.jar only
   - To get the rest of the tests working, without a recompile of the product, tests  have been added to verify the existence
      of  eclipselink, the bundles, and the classes. Then one set is used in the classpath (in order of preference):
         eclipselink.jar, the bundles, or classes
      - The same target is executed regardless of classpath.
 - I included the bundle set in anticipation of testing against OSGi platforms, and because we seem to be promoting the
    targeted use of eclipselink as an added configuration (therefore we will need the capability of certifying the bundles)
 - Given the new directive for testing to not recompile the product it seems, it can easily be extended to include
   "tests should only be run against product jars" (eclipselink, or bundles) when using ant (eclipse testing
   remain unaffected).

2. Dynamic vs Static Testing
   Rather than running a test target against any available set of product classes (eclipselink.jar, the bundles, or class dirs), a
   preference has been stated to use static targets for a configuration set.
   - The reason is to ensure that you are testing against what you think you are. For example "test-srg-using-jar" would only
      and always run the SRG against the product jar, "test-srg-using-bundles" and "test-srg-using-classes" would only test
     against the bundle jars and classes respectively.
      - The down-side is that scripts would need to be focused for a specific methodology, and couldn't be reused for multiple purposes.

To limit impact on testing and development I had been approaching the reorg design utilizing a dynamic approach. I can see the benefit for going to a static approach, but I need your input first.

I can also see a benefit to disallowing class testing, but the rigidity may cause problems later. Certainly product-only defaults can be setup.

Irregardless of the outcome, I plan on continuing to test availability first and report a missing dependency in the effort to increase usability and robustness, as well as reduce debug time.

Anyone have strong preferences?
-Should the tests dynamically target the product using a single target, or should configuration-specific static targets be used?
-Should testing against jars be enforced? If so does this include testing jars (vs allowing test classes) (in some cases this is
already necessary, in others it is not)?

-Eric