Re: [eclipselink-dev] adding support for creation of column indices

Hi Tom,

With that information I am able to get to the CVS HEAD. From there, I can see org.eclipse.orbit and follow the steps listed to get the projects we depend on:

Usually it's the other way around but I am now able to access orbit from a machine at the office and I've check out the projects you mentioned:

 From Orbit:
javax.activation
javax.mail 1.4.0
javax.xml.bind 2.0
javax.xml.rpc 1.1.0
javax.xml.stream 1.0.1
org.apache.ant 1.7

I'm a bit confused about the following:

 From the EclipseLink repository:
eclipselink.core.test
eclipselink.jpa.test
javax.ejb
javax.jms
javax.persistence
javax.resource
javax.transaction
org.eclipse.persistence.antlr
org.eclipse.persistence.asm
org.eclipse.persistence.core
org.eclipse.persistence.jpa

I have previously checked out everything under the following.

http://dev.eclipse.org/svnroot/rt/org.eclipse.persistence/trunk

I can't remember how but I imported all the projects into Eclipse, so I have projects called eclipselink.jpa.test, etc.
However, I still get errors about missing projects.
For example, I have a project called "javax.persistence 1.99" but it is looking for project "javax.persistence".
Do I need to check out javax.persistence again with a particular tag?
Or name the current project names to drop the version number?
Or create empty shell projects with names without version numbers that refer to the projects with the version numbers?

..

Tried the latter, and now I get the following error:
java.lang.Error: Unresolved compilation problems:
The import javax.lang cannot be resolved
PrimitiveType cannot be resolved to a type.

This class is imported by org.eclipse.persistence.internal.jpa.metadata.accessors.objects.MetadataAnnotatedElement

I can find this class in JDK6, but if we're running with JDK5, where can it get this class from?

Thanks,
Dies

Admittedly, our Eclipse project infrastructure is setup with the assumption that you can get the required projects from our repository and from Orbit. Modifying the projects to use the libraries we have checked in is likely a fair amount of work and will require pointing Eclipse's default PDE Target Platform at some of the jars containing the dependencies. Let's see if we can get the projects checked out for you. What error message are you getting?

At the moment, many of our tests are designed to run as TestSuites (rather than individual tests). The reason for this is that we order the tests in order to run a Table Creation and data population test first. There are quite a number of tests suites, all referenced from FullRegressionTestSuite Hopefully that will be a granular enough level to help you debug.

The core and jpa components of EclipseLink target JDK 5. They are compiled on JDK 6 with a JDK 5 target. There is no plan to change to JDK 6 in any of the currently scheduled releases.

-Tom

Dies Koper wrote:
Hi Tom,

I still haven't been able to run any tests from Eclipse.

I have done the following:
- Upgraded to Eclipse Galileo
- Replaced javax.xml.bind, etc. with their jar files and removed the project from the dependency list. It resolves one error but gives the same error for the next project. I repeated this for about four projects but no end was in sight. Is it supposed to be so much work? - Tried downloading things from the Orbit cvs repository. Although the wiki does not give much information about what I can expect in that repository, it would not let me connect to it (server down?).

I have 100 failures and 900 errors. I would like to just right-click on the test method name in Eclipse and run the JUnit test in the debugger from there, so that I can go into the code to see where it bombs out.
Could you give me the exact steps to do that?
(I don't mind downloading extra projects if that saves me the manual trial and error process of replacing projects with jars.

On a side note, is my understanding correct that EclipseLink 2.0 is targeted to be run on JDK6 (and higher)? Or will JDK5 still be supported?

Thanks,
Dies

Tom Ware wrote:
Hi Dies,

  They run successfully for me in Eclipse.

  Some comments inline:

Dies Koper wrote:
Hi Tom,

The JPA test suite is completely JUnit based. Here is a getting started page for running the tests:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/EclipseLink/Development/Testing/JPA

I recommend choosing to run the tests either in Ant or in Eclipse. There are instructions on the page above indicating how to do either.

So far I've been running them from Ant (the full set).
Now that I've completed a full run, I'd like to run single tests, so running them from Eclipse would be great.

Do they work for you in Eclipse?

I get the following errors:
- The working directory for FullRegressionTestSuite is set to ${workspace_loc:eclipselink.jpa.test/run}. I suppose that should have been ${workspace_loc:eclipselink.jpa.test}/run.

The ${workspace_loc:eclipselink.jpa.test/run} works for me in Eclipse. (I am running Eclipse Galileo, but prior to Galileo, it was running on Ganymede). One thing that potentially causes an issue here is the lack of an actual "run" directory. That directory is created by our ant build, or you can explicitly create it. Do you have that directory?

When I run a single test, I make a copy of the FullRegressionTestSuite Launch file with the Eclipse copy functionality and them make any required changes. Usually I just need to change the test class.

- Project javax.xml.bind cannot be found. I haven't been able to resolve this one yet.

Take a look at the "plugins" section here:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/EclipseLink/Building

Your options are to either get the project from orbit as explained on the page above, or to remove the project-dependency and, instead use the jar file that is found in our repository. Look in <home>\trunk\plugins for that file. Each component also has a plugins directory if there are other libraries you cannot find.

-Tom

This is on Eclipse Ganymede.

I'll try setting up the JUnit runner myself tomorrow (i.e. not using the included launch files), see if that works.

Cheers,
Dies

Back to the top