From: eclipselink-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:eclipselink-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Doug Clarke
Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 11:18 AM
To: eclipselink-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [eclipselink-dev] Eclipse IDE Error/Warning Levels

EclipseLink Developers,

During our incubation phase I would like to propose an approach to dealing with the many warnings we get in the Eclipse IDE for our code base. Historically these have not been a great concern to TopLink development but I feel that the move to Eclipse should include an effort to work on overall code quality and we should leverage the Eclipse IDE tooling to do this.

We have a very large number of warning across our projects that make addressing these easily a difficult task. To make this more manageable I would like to propose a phased approach with concrete items in the project back-log to address them.

STEP 1: Turn down the warning levels within the project settings to get to a manageable number of warnings we can address.
  • In all project source projects we will turn off warnings for deprecation, serialVersionUID, and unchecked generic type operations
  • In all test case projects we will turn off these warnings as well as the unused imports, local variable is never read, an unused local or private member warnings
This will get us down to a more manageable warning level and we can add specific items to the project back-log to get these addressed.

STEP 2: After the above warnings have been addressed through code changes and we have addressed the deprecated code removal we can increase the warning level to include deprecation as well as any additional ones the developers feel are useful to the source projects.

STEP 3: Increase the warning levels on the test case projects as determined by the developers.

Based on this proposal I would like to proceed with modifying the existing project's warning levels and checking them in. Please provide feedback on this proposal by COB Thursday.

Doug

Oracle Email Signature Logo
Doug Clarke | Principal Product Manager, Oracle TopLink
Oracle Server Technologies
45 O'Connor, Suite 4000 | Ottawa, ON  K1P 1A4 Canada

Back to the top