Re: [eclipse.org-planning-council] Removing pack200 requirement for simrel

+1

On 15.03.2021 13:54, Thomas Watson wrote:
+1 from me

Tom

----- Original message -----
From: Aleksandar Kurtakov <akurtako@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: "eclipse.org-planning-council" <eclipse.org-planning-council-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Eclipse Planning Council private list <eclipse.org-planning-council@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [eclipse.org-planning-council] Removing pack200 requirement for simrel
Date: Mon, Mar 15, 2021 7:19 AM

Hi everyone,
So Java 16 started to land  in user machines (e.g. my Fedora JVM just got an update from Java 15 to 16) and with this comes the removal of Pack200 technology.
The effect of that is that I can no longer compile Tycho and p2 with my default JVM. Generating pack200 has been no-op in Tycho when run on newer JVM already so Eclipse Simrel puts a requirement which is harder and harder to fulfill and becomes a real barrier to entry.
. Most of the EPP packages ship with JustJ where pack200 is already not used so there wouldn't be much change for most of our downloads.

--
Aleksandar Kurtakov
Red Hat Eclipse Team