Re: [eclipse.org-planning-council] Proposed Change to Eclipse Bylaws

I fully agree that the removal of the planning council from the Bylaws will help clarifying the Eclipse Foundation position.

As this is a time for a change, what about transferring all the resources associated with the planning council to an actual Eclipse project or a Working Group? Currently, simrel's resources (git repos, Jenkins instance, etc.) are somewhat owned by the planning council but there is no tangible Eclipse project associated with those resources. Likewise, the planning council membership is currently defined in the Bylaws, but when it will be removed, I guess there will be no more record of it. IMHO, it is desirable to clarify those points before the bylaws get changed to have a clear message to give to the community.

Is a project enough? Should this project be part of a larger initiative like a working group? I would say that from a day to day operational point of view, we need at least a project whose committers are the planning council members. It could be a brand new project or we could merge the simrel effort into EPP and make it the central project for the Eclipse IDEs distributions. Again from an operational point of view, simrel and epp have been working so closely for so many years that I think it makes sense to have the resources of both getting even closer.

WDYT?

Cheers,
Mikael