User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/45.7.1
Thanks for being clear on that issue. Support for compiling and
developing Java 9 falls primarily on JDT (I assume/guess). But
support for running the IDE itself on Java 9 and making sure that
works correctly is a burden that falls on us all. Given we can't
currently even test that, it seems to me it's not a great idea
plan that way. Like you, I don't feel comfortable planning an
Oxygen release date around a Java release date. More flexible and
less risky in my opinion would be an Oxygen.0a update that could
respin primarily any JDT updates that are needed and would not be
so much focused on the statement that the IDE itself will run on
top of Java 9. I.e., more along the line of what Nick is
On 01.03.2017 14:48, Thomas Watson
Bug 493761 needs to be fixed for Oxygen.0. The
issue of launching the Eclipse platform on Java 9 is different
than having the support for compiling and developing Java 9
I worry about delaying Oxygen.0 to align with
Java 9 release because I can easily see the Java 9 release
getting delayed again. I would not want to hold up Oxygen.0
I assume this must be fixed in a general way that works
regardless of whether Java 9 is actually used or not and
regardless of the JVM implementation provider. Is it
hopeful that this will be addressed in time that we may all
test the state of Java 9?
Does it really make sense to plan the whole release
schedule around this assumption? And as Marc suggests, is
planning a release during the high vacation season a good
On 28.02.2017 18:51, Marc Khouzam wrote:
Considering the dates are so close between Oxygen.0 and
I think having an extra release is more hassle for
adopters than it is worth.
So waiting for Java 9 is a good plan for Oxygen.0.
One drawback I see is that more people will be on
vacation at that time,
but with proper planning, it should not be a problem.
moving the Oxygen.0 release to the JDK9 release
Would make things for adopters of that release
> Note that I've added a biggie to the list:
with all the talk about having an extra release to
coincide with the Java 9 release, we've neglected
to ask why we need a release in both June and
July. The Java 9 release date (which by all
accounts is pretty stable) is about a month after
our planned Oxygen date. Is there any reason why
we shouldn't just move the Oxygen.0 date (other
than "we've always done it that way") ?
> Feel free to answer here. It would be great
if you can come to the meeting armed with an
answer to that question.
> See you on Wednesday.
> For all phone lines: Participant conference
extension: 710 then enter pin 35498
> North America (toll free) 1-866-569-4992
> Germany (local call anywhere in Germany)
> France (local call anywhere in France)
> UK (toll free) 0800-033-7806
> Switzerland (local call anywhere in
> SIP clients: call 710@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
then enter pin 35498.
> Wayne Beaton
> The Eclipse Foundation
> eclipse.org-planning-council mailing list