Skip to main content

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [List Home]
[] Kepler J8 Release

There has been a discussion on the CrossProject ML about a Kepler Java 8 release. If there is some, non-null segment of our community that this would help, I don't think we should completely ignore this request. However, I don't want to overstep my bounds, so I thought I would raise this here first.

Dani gave a good summary of why we should not "simply" (big air quotes there) release an SR3. Because of the changes required to the JDT, there is a good chance that this release is less stable than SR2, and while we have been discussing the reality that SRs are not more stable, the JDT + Platform is different. If this idea did go forward, I think a separate release 'Kepler J8' would be required.

Here is a draft response: 

If we are serious about moving forward with a J8 release for Eclipse, someone in the community will need to put a concrete proposal together. The proposal should cover:
  1. I assume this will also include a SimRepo as well as packages. Most of this repo should just be Kepler SR2, but we need to decide what updated plugins should be included (JDT for sure, maybe WTP, M2E, etc...). We need a list of updated plugins, and a +1 from the projects that they want their plugins included.
  2. Obviously some of these components have not been 'released' yet. Release reviews will need to be organized (let's not assume the projects will do this).
  3. We probably don't need to spin every package (CDT?, Modeling?), so we need to decide which packages to build.
  4. A list of resources, who will coordinate this, aggregate the repository and build the packages. Let's not assume David and Markus will have the time to do this.
  5. A QA / Sign-off process. Who is going to QA the packages, and what platforms will we support.
If someone puts a proposal together that addresses these points (and are capable of providing the resources to pull this off) would we be ok with it? It would also be good to put a date on this. If this work will take 2 months, bringing us to late May, is this still valuable?

Thoughts? Is this worth discussing? Or should we just stall long enough and let Luna leave the station ;).


R. Ian Bull | EclipseSource Victoria | +1 250 477 7484 |

Back to the top