RE: [eclipse.org-planning-council] New Planning Council Chair: RichGronback

It's not really a valid test to compare the performance of the Eclipse SDK to the full Galileo download. The way that our performance tests work is that we compare our current build with the latest release as a baseline.  This allows us to see if  recent code changes are causing performance degradations or improvements relative to the baseline.  We don't have a Ganymede baseline and even if we did, we don't have test coverage for anything other than Eclipse Project bundles.

Another thing with performance tests is that they are very sensitive to changes in hardware and operating system patches.  So it wouldn't be valid comparison if Project A ran performance tests on Galileo on machine Y on Vista, and Project  B ran performance tests on machine Z on Ubuntu.    There needs to a be standardization of  both hardware, operating system and baselines so that the data is useful.

Kim

"Oberhuber, Martin" <Martin.Oberhuber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: eclipse.org-planning-council-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

07/30/2008 02:12 PM

Please respond to
"eclipse.org-planning-council"        <eclipse.org-planning-council@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"eclipse.org-planning-council" <eclipse.org-planning-council@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
RE: [eclipse.org-planning-council] New Planning Council Chair:        RichGronback

Hi all,

given that Galileo M1+0 is on Aug 8 according to the Calendar, I'm wondering
whether it would make sense to get the Build Machine set up (by porting
the Ganymede one) already in order to get the ball rolling?

There's certainly plenty of time and it's not yet sure whether we want
to start Galileo with all the Ganymede heritage or start something new,
so it's certainly not required just yet.

It just came to my mind and I was wondering how much effort it
were to kick off the train and if anybody with the required privileges
on the servers could do it?

There have been thoughts in the past about improving the
test coverage of the full coordinated release, and I thought
that one option doing so would be if projects wouldn't just
run their unittests in their own environment but also have
them run in the "full Ganymede" environment.

I'd guess that the Platform's Performance Tests, for instance,
might yield some interesting data points if we compare the
results of a run in the "Eclipse SDK Only" environment with
a "Full Galileo" environment. That, of course, requires some
Galileo Downloadable Bits. Does that make any sense?

Cheers,
--
Martin Oberhuber, Senior Member of Technical Staff, Wind River
http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm