RE: [eclipse.org-planning-council] A suggested topic for PlanningCouncil Discussion

Mike,

I didn't suggest giving up.   But I am suggesting that I will not
personally be on a quality police force.  I would be much happier with a
growing release train of ever improving quality.  If we want to start
kicking off the train cars we thing are crap, I believe this process will
break down, especially considering that folks downstream from crappy cars
will drop of by transitivity...

I'm also not sure that 50 small projects are any different form 25 projects
of 1/2 the size, so I think this focus on the number of projects is
misguided.  All that matters is quality not quantity and there are lots of
things we could do to improve the quality.  And it's not just the code we
ship that affects perceptions.  For example, some projects might consider
paying more attention to their newsgroups...

Ed Merks/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
mailto: merks@xxxxxxxxxx
905-413-3265  (t/l 313)

             "Mike
             Milinkovich"
             <mike.milinkovich                                          To
             @eclipse.org>             "'eclipse.org-planning-council'"
             Sent by:                  <eclipse.org-planning-council@eclip
             eclipse.org-plann         se.org>
             ing-council-bounc                                          cc
             es@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: [eclipse.org-planning-council]
             11/01/2007 04:24          A suggested topic for
             PM                        PlanningCouncil  Discussion

             Please respond to
             mike.milinkovich@
               eclipse.org;
             Please respond to
             "eclipse.org-plan
               ning-council"
             <eclipse.org-plan
             ning-council@ecli
                 pse.org>

I do not buy the argument that since you cannot measure quality objectively
you should just give up. And yes, some mature projects could fall below
this
hypothetical bar.

But as far as I'm concerned shipping a smaller, higher quality release
train
would be just dandy.