[eclipse.org-committers] About Friday's outage

Greetings folks,

Last Friday, Feb. 7 at about 12:30pm Ottawa time, our primary backend file server suffered an irrecoverable hardware failure [1]. That server is host to Git, Gerrit, web session data, and a lot of files for our various web properties. It was also host to our accounts database -- the center for all user authentication.

We switched to a hot standby server about one hour later. However, the standby server is, by design, not in perfect sync with its primary in real time. This means some account transactions (password changes, new accounts) and Git transactions may be missing.

We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused, as well as the lost productivity. We're working hard to clean up the transition. We're also identifying ways to improve the data integrity of this transition, should we ever need to use it in the future.

Denis

[1] https://blogs.eclipse.org/post/denis-roy/anatomy-server-failure

--

Denis Roy

Director, IT Services | Eclipse Foundation, Inc.

Twitter: @droy_eclipse

Back to the top