[eclipse.org-committers] Bad PHP code on eclipse.org servers

Folks,

Most of you have cool PHP web pages on download.eclipse.org or on www.eclipse.org. This weekend, one of those cool web pages had a bug in it that caused the browser to reload the page indefinitely, generating a PHP error in our server log for each retry.

Things got hairy when a few web crawlers with lots of bandwidth, such as Alexa, tried accessing this page and got stuck in an infinite loop, generating dozens of requests (and error log entries) per second. Two of our servers' log disks eventually got full, causing errors for the e-mail and CVS services that were being handled by those servers.

Because the eclipse.org servers are production servers operating in a high-volume environment, please make sure the code you author is production-ready and fully tested. This is especially true when dealing with PHP warnings that occur on your development platform, as warnings are not displayed (but are logged) on eclipse.org.

Thanks,

Denis

Back to the top