[eclipse.org-committers] Webmaster update - CVS, stats, mailing lists, outages, the works.

In this issue:

1. Maintenance Window - revisited
2. Developer Mailing Lists moderated
3. Live stats moved
4. News and Mail archives now passwordless
5. More upgrades on the way
6. CVS pserver/ssh solution in testing
7. CVS e-mail commit notifications

1. Maintenance Window - revisited

In my last update I suggested a maintenance window of 10pm Eastern to 11:59 on Sundays. After getting a bit of feedback, it seems it is more convenient to move this planned maintenance window to Sundays from 6:00am to 8:00am Eastern.

The big bonus is that we have found a solution to the CVS permissions problem (item 6), meaning that we will shortly be able to run non-disruptive maintenance on all our servers, making this maintenance window virtually obsolete...

2. Developer Mailing Lists moderated

The eclipse-dev mailing list has been moderated for a couple of weeks now thanks to a few volunteer Platform committers. I'd like to extend this service to any other -dev mailing list that is currently suffering from too much noise. The -dev lists are intended for project developers, and we want these tools to be useful for them. All I need are two committers to volunteer for moderation duty for each moderated list.

By the way, please do not allow posts from webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxx to be accepted without moderation. It's an easy target for phishers to send out junk as webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxx. You can usually tell that a webmaster e-mail is authentic by the lame humour and incessant babbling we put into it.

3. Live stats moved

The Live download stats page has been moved. A few project websites were linking to this page, so everyone was running live stats and that was occasionally killing the backend server during peak hours.

To access the live Download stats page, simply login to the Committer Tools and hit the link from there: https://dev.eclipse.org/committers/

Item 5 will solve the problem where live stats are slowing everything down reeeal soooon noooow.

4. News and Mail archives now passwordless

Yup. The complete archives were deleted and re-generated to mangle e-mail addresses within the message body, so password protection is no longer required for the archives pages.

Google has started indexing all this valuable content for the first time. Just check this query:

http://www.google.ca/search?q=eclipse+MultiPageEditorPart+threads

5. More upgrades on the way

We are actively preparing the IBM p5 550 servers for production use. The current main backend server will be replaced with two of these, adding more horsepower and data storage than we can shake a stick at. This does mean a general outage, but the outage will be short (perhaps even unnoticeable), and will occur sometime after 3.1 (perhaps early August) on a Sunday morning during the prescribed outage window.

I originally wanted this outage to occur June 26 to keep Platform on their toes, but Sujay recommended against it.

6. CVS pserver/ssh solution in testing

We have found a solution to the permissions problem with CVS that required us to separate SSH and PSERVER CVS back in April. We will therefore be moving SSH CVS back on the backend servers, and both SSH and PSERVER will be in perfect sync as they were before - plus, CVS will be fully redundant and load-balanced. This change will happen at the same time the IBM upgrades will occur, sometime after 3.1, to minimize the impact.

7. CVS e-mail commit notifications

We have setup a service that allows you to receive e-mail notifications of commits. This involves setting up a mailing list for your project, subscribing it and configuring the repository. Please contact us for more details.

Thanks for investing a few minutes to catch up on what's going on behind-the-scenes. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to send them to us directly or to post a message on the eclipse.foundation newsgroup for general discussion.

Denis

--

Eclipse WebMaster - webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxx
Questions? Consult the FAQ at http://www.eclipse.org/webmaster/faq.html