Re: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] Auto-pruning inactive committers?

Hi Mickael

I like the idea to inform projects, but am against what you wrote in the subject ;-)

Dani

From:        Mickael Istria <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx>
To:        "eclipse.org-architecture-council" <eclipse.org-architecture-council@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:        12.05.2020 23:12
Subject:        [EXTERNAL] [eclipse.org-architecture-council] Auto-pruning inactive committers?
Sent by:        eclipse.org-architecture-council-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi all,

I see several projects (actually many projects) with a long list of committers, but if we look at history, a big part of the committers have not participated in code or mailing-list for more than a year.
Ideally, the project team should clear the list, but it can be seen as an "irrespectful" move to remove inactive committers that some leads would prefer avoiding by politeness or shiness, and it's also a burden for project leads to take care of these tasks.
However, an erroneous list of committers can be perceived as an issue in governance: it gives some false impressions on the state of the project community and doesn't really conform to meritocracy (merit is a state, not a 1 time achievement).
So I suggest that the project teams get some assistance/reminders/hints to better manage their inactive committers, for example some bot regularly suggesting them to remove the inactive committers, ideally by listing the committers who haven't had activity for a long enough time.

What do you think?

--

Mickael Istria
Eclipse IDE developer, for Red Hat Developers_______________________________________________