Re: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] IPZilla rant

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 10:43 PM, Mickael Istria <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In this case, instead of filing 60 CQs, the dream scenario would have been to fill a few top-level ones, give the node module info (id, version), and automatically have this resolved, 60 entries created at ones, sources fetched automatically whenever possible (in the vast majority of cases, there's a trivial git tag for the version), and some emails saying "PMC approved" and "this has been automatically approved" (like there is already after source submission).

From what I know with NPM you can file a single CQ with a whole bunch of modules in it. I have seen this a few times now on IoT projects, and those requests got approved by the IP team. I am noob when it comes to _javascript_, but my understanding was that you can easily define a root module with NPM and then let it detect and download the artifacts. Uploading those to IPzilla in a single zip. What you need to consider is locking the versions, but my understanding is that this is something you (as a _javascript_ developer) should do anyway with the package-lock.json file.

--
Jens Reimann
Senior Software Engineer / EMEA ENG Middleware

Red Hat GmbH, www.de.redhat.com,
Managing Directors: Paul Argiry, Charles Cachera, Michael Cunningham, Michael O'Neill

Back to the top