Re: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] The Art of Project Release Naming

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 11:04 AM, John Arthorne <John_Arthorne@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I can across an anecdote recently that illustrated the value of release version numbers. I was shopping for a cordless phone to replace my old 5.8 Ghz phone. ÂWhen I last bought a phone, the choice was between DECT 2.4 GHz and DECT 5.8 GHz, with the larger number generally being a better technology. This time around, there was a new option: DECT 6.0. After doing some research, I discovered that this new phone should actually be DECT 1.9 GHz, since that is the spectrum it operates on. However, the marketing guys thought that a smaller number would indicate an inferior product to customers, so they pulled the "6.0" number out of thin air. As a customer I confess I did immediately assume the higher number was the better technology. Although the conventions are slightly different, I think this is a perfect example of why a release "marketing number" can and sometimes should differ from an "engineering number". It also illustrates the value of a number over simple names (if they were DECT "zebra" and DECT "camel", a customer standing in the store wouldn't know which one to pick). All this to say that I think it would be valuable for us to describe some recommendations on release naming for projects. Some consistency across projects would be great.

IÂthinkÂtheÂPlanningÂCouncilÂwillÂnameÂEclipseÂreleasesÂmonotonicallyÂnow.ÂWhatÂIÂmeanÂbyÂthisÂisÂthatÂthisÂyearÂitÂwasÂGalileo,ÂnextÂyearÂitÂwillÂbeÂHeliosÂandÂtheÂfollowingÂyearÂitÂwillÂbeÂsomethingÂthatÂstartsÂwithÂanÂ"I"Â

There'sÂorderÂimpliedÂthereÂsoÂit'sÂeasyÂtoÂtalkÂaboutÂthingsÂandÂunderstandÂwhenÂtheyÂcameÂout.

Cheers,Â

--
Chris Aniszczyk | EclipseSource Austin | +1 860 839 2465
http://twitter.com/eclipsesource | http://twitter.com/caniszczyk