Re: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] FindBugs

I think your intent is good ... great even!

But, I'd suggest to watch the wording and not making "use of <any
particular software>" a best practice.

The best practice should be "Use tools which are designed to find bugs in
your source code through static analysis or similar means." And then could
be followed by several "For example" sections or links to experience
reports. Hopefully these example sections would be provided by other
members of the architecture council or Eclipse committers that find some
particular tool or process helpful in an Eclipse project (so that it is
"concrete" and not just an abstract "could possibly be a helpful thing"
... as there are lots of those).

For an example of an example :) Even Eclipse JDT itself should be
mentioned, with details given of how to change preferences to check for
more types of potential errors (e.g. unnecessary casts; normally a warning
by default, but can be more easily seen if set to an error level. These
are important to inspect and remove, since can not only be unnecessary,
but can be a sign the code as written is not what was intended. Not to
mention null checks, unexternalized strings, etc.)

And, it'd be good to discuss or describe how to set up so it's
"continuously checking" your code, vs. using every now and then.

Of course, if there's specific type of bugs you are trying to eliminate by
naming specific software or process then  then that makes for even better
"example sections" in the best practice.

Hope this comment is helpful, and not too far off your original question.
(To which I'd answer, I haven't used Findbugs in years so I should not
comment on that :)

From:
Wayne Beaton <wayne@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: