[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [List Home]
RE: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] Boston Council meetings agenda - please read - there are two ACTION items and one IMPORTANT QUESTION in this email

Requirements Council,

FYI, the minutes of the last RC meeting have been posted at
http://www.eclipse.org/org/councils/20050517RCMinutes.htm


My proposed main topics for the Requirements Council meeting are:

* Quality. Continuing our quality discussion starting with a discussion of
the draft Guidelines and the feedback received from the community about
these Guidelines. The draft Guidelines are:
http://www.eclipse.org/org/processes/Guidelines_for_Eclipse_Development_Proc
ess/. Please note that this documentation also addresses the action item
from the last meeting "ACTION: Bjorn and Mike are to define the exit
criteria for a checkpoint review."

* Requirements Tracking. From the minutes of our last meeting: "Bjorn is to
propose a requirements tracking process for Requirements Council. How will
the data be tracked and reported?"

* Roadmap. The days are growing shorter and autumn will be upon us in no
time at all, and with autumn comes the Eclipse Roadmap process. 
	(a) I would like all representatives of Strategic Members to come
prepared with their input into the Roadmap process. Last year, each person
prepared a brief document and/or presentation on their firm's key
requirements and presented them to the RC to help kick-start the process.
	(b) Roadmap debrief: What worked last year, what changes would be
like to see to the process?


Mike Milinkovich
Executive Director,
Eclipse Foundation, Inc.
Office: 613-224-9461 x228
Cell: 613-220-3223
mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxx
 
blog: http://milinkovich.blogspot.com/
 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: eclipse.org-architecture-council-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx 
> [mailto:eclipse.org-architecture-council-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] 
> On Behalf Of Bjorn Freeman-Benson
> Sent: August 2, 2005 2:45 PM
> To: eclipse.org-architecture-council@xxxxxxxxxxx; 
> eclipse.org-requirements-council@xxxxxxxxxxx; 
> eclipse.org-planning-council@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] Boston Council 
> meetings agenda - please read - there are two ACTION items 
> and one IMPORTANT QUESTION in this email
> 
> Council Members,
> The Requirements, Architecture, and Planning Councils will be 
> meeting in Boston August 23, 24, and 25. We will be meeting 
> at the Hotel Marlow. 
> You will need to make your own reservations, and you need to 
> do so soon.
> 
> Hotel Marlow
> 25 Edwin H. Land Boulevard
> Cambridge, MA 02141
> 617 395 2539
> 
> Phone: 1 800 825 7040 for reservations block under "*Eclipse 
> Council Meeting Room Block*" = rate $179.00
> 
> The first ACTION ITEM is to make your hotel reservations 
> before the block expires.
> 
> The second ACTION ITEM is to let Sharon (sharon@xxxxxxxxxxx) 
> know that you are attending so that she can order enough food 
> - we don't want to run out like we did last quarter. Hungry 
> people don't make good meeting attendees :-)
> 
> The IMPORTANT QUESTION is about the schedule. For various 
> reasons, it would be convenient to rearrange the schedule a 
> little from our last meetings. Hence I propose this time 
> layout. Please let me know if this will not work for you - if 
> there is sufficient resistance (i.e., more resistance to this 
> layout than to the previous one), we will switch back. Either 
> way, I will confirm by Monday so that you can make flight 
> arrangements, etc.
> 
> New proposed times:
> 
> Tuesday all day - Requirements Council
> Tuesday all day - Planning Council
> Wednesday morning - plenary with all three councils Wednesday 
> afternoon - Architecture Council 1/2 Thursday morning - 
> Architecture Council 2/2
> 
> I am not planning to have call-in numbers for these 
> face-to-face meetings because mixed f2f and conf.call 
> meetings tend to have lower productivity than either mode by itself.
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> *Requirements Council*
>  >> Tuesday, August 24, 8:30am - 5pm
> Mike Milinkovich is chairing this council and will be sending 
> the agenda separately.
> A working lunch will be provided.
> 
>  >> Tuesday, August 24, evening
> A group dinner will be arranged by Sharon Wolfe.
> 
>  >> Wednesday, August 25, 8:30am - noon
> Plenary session with all three councils. The purpose of this 
> session is for the Strategic Consumers and the Requirements 
> Council as a while to provide input directly to the 
> Architecture and Planning Councils.
> A working lunch will be provided.
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> *Architecture Council*
>  >> Tuesday, August 24, evening
> A group dinner will be arranged by Sharon Wolfe.
> 
>  >> Wednesday, August 25, 8:30am - noon
> Plenary session with all three councils. The purpose of this 
> session is for the Strategic Consumers and the Requirements 
> Council as a while to provide input directly to the 
> Architecture and Planning Councils.
> A working lunch will be provided.
> 
>  >> Wednesday, August 25, noon - 5pm
> The first half of the Architecture Council meeting.
> 
>  >> Thursday, August 26, 8:30am - noon
> The second half of the Architecture Council meeting.
> 
> Agenda items left over from the last meeting:
> * Project Boundaries and Council Role in Coordination. How 
> can the Architecture Council help the technical progress of 
> Eclipse without creating an overly large bureaucracy? We're 
> an open source organization, so in some circles that means 
> "no control", but in fact we're an organization with a 
> deliberate process whose purpose is to create high-quality 
> frameworks. How does the Architecture Council help with that?
> 
> * Monthly Conference Calls. How can we use these calls effectively?
> What issues are useful for discussion? What is a good schedule?
> What issues should we expect the Projects to bring the 
> Architecture Council? We have not had monthly conference 
> calls and I have not received any demands for them, but there 
> is a vague sense that if we had more coordination between 
> projects, that would be good.
> 
> New agenda items:
> * Quality. Continuing our quality discussion starting with a 
> discussion of the draft Guidelines and the feedback received 
> from the community about these Guidelines. The draft Guidelines are:
> http://www.eclipse.org/org/processes/Guidelines_for_Eclipse_De
> velopment_Process/
> 
> * Roadmap. The days are growing shorter and autumn will be 
> upon us in no time at all, and with autumn comes the Eclipse 
> Roadmap process. The Roadmap version 1 had a fairly lame 
> architecture summary of Eclipse - we'd like to do better in 
> Roadmap version 2.
> What would we like to see? And how can we make that happen?
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> *Planning Council*
>  >> Tuesday, August 24, 8:30am - 5pm
> A working lunch will be provided.
> 
> * Synchronized Release Train. Kevin Haaland will describe the 
> mechanics of what projects who are opting-in to the Release 
> Train will be opting-in to. The projects will, at this 
> meeting, opt-in or opt-out.
> 
> * Status Reporting Format. I will distribute the proposed XML 
> status reporting file format. We will discuss and then agree 
> to something like it, and we will agree to a time line for 
> placing our projects'
> information in this file format.
> 
> * Roadmap. The days are growing shorter and autumn will be 
> upon us in no time at all, and with autumn comes the Eclipse 
> Roadmap process. The Roadmap version 1 was a real effort to 
> put together.
> My theory is that the XML status report format will auto-gen 
> the Planning Council parts of the Roadmap, but we should make 
> sure we believe that before we leave Boston.
> 
> * Website Content, Part 1. A check on whether we accomplished 
> our website updates that we agreed to do last meeting; either 
> update old information or remove it.
> 
> * Website Content, Part 2. The Committer Get-Together in 
> Beaverton last week resulted in a suggestion that all project 
> websites have four standard links with standard icons and 
> standard locations. This way anybody can find out common 
> information about a project by going to its website and 
> following one of those links. We should decide what those 
> four (or two or three or five) links are, and we should all 
> agree to put them on our sites. Suggestions include: the 
> current plan, the PMC/project leadership minutes, project phase, ... ?
> 
> * Quality. Continuing our quality discussion starting with a 
> discussion of the draft Guidelines and the feedback received 
> from the community about these Guidelines. The draft Guidelines are:
> http://www.eclipse.org/org/processes/Guidelines_for_Eclipse_De
> velopment_Process/
> 
> * Project Log. As part quality discussion and part of the 
> Guidelines and part of the IP Policy that we all signed on to 
> follow, each project should be keeping a Project Log. We will 
> go over what needs to be in that log and how important it is 
> and the time line that the Foundation needs the current 
> copies of the Log.
> 
>  >> Tuesday, August 24, evening
> A group dinner will be arranged by Sharon Wolfe.
> 
>  >> Wednesday, August 25, 8:30am - noon
> Plenary session with all three councils. The purpose of this 
> session is for the Strategic Consumers and the Requirements 
> Council as a while to provide input directly to the 
> Architecture and Planning Councils.
> A working lunch will be provided.
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> I repeat what I said last quarter: "Eclipse is at yet another 
> interesting point in its evolution: success has bred rapid 
> growth. It is our challenge to manage this growth while 
> maintaining the productivity, innovative frameworks, and high 
> quality bar that have made Eclipse great." We're making 
> progress, but we need to keep making progress.
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> ACTION ITEM ONE: make hotel reservations.
> 
> ACTION ITEM TWO: tell Sharon that you are going to be eating food.
> 
> IMPORTANT QUESTION: is this new/revised schedule acceptable 
> to you? (Or, more specifically, if this is not acceptable, 
> please let me know.)
> 
> ---
> [This E-mail scanned for viruses by Declude Virus]
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> eclipse.org-architecture-council mailing list 
> eclipse.org-architecture-council@xxxxxxxxxxx
> https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/eclipse.org-architect
> ure-council