Re: [eclipse-pmc] Fwd: SWT-GTK theme support

On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 3:42 PM Daniel Megert <daniel_megert@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks Eric for bringing this up!

I am +1 too with the following small changes (in bold blue):

"With respect to GTK+3 themes: Adwaita theme is guaranteed to work. Eclipse SDK will run with other GTK+ 3 themes, however we cannot flag these as reference versions without significant community support for testing and/or development of fixes. Bugsthat arereproducible onlywith themes other than Adwaita will be given a lower priority (or may not be fixed at all), compared to bugs which are reproducible on the target environments listed above."

Hey Dani :),
I skpped the + intentionally. The project is no longer GTK+ but just GTK - see https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2019-February/msg00000.html :). Other than that it looks good.

I presume that we add this to what we already say about the versions.

I will add that to the 4.12. plan.

Dani

From:        Aleksandar Kurtakov <akurtako@xxxxxxxxxx>
To:        eclipse-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date:        21.02.2019 17:59
Subject:        Re: [eclipse-pmc] Fwd: SWT-GTK theme support
Sent by:        eclipse-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 6:55 PM Mike Wilson <Mike_Wilson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> that we only support the default GTK themes shipped with GTK (not a desktop
> environment), and that users are more than welcome to use their own custom
> GTK theme at their own risk.

I certainly understand why we would do this. The interaction between SWT's quite complex use of GTK and the myriad of (varying quality) themes out there is not something we're going to be able to fix. It's a shame, but I'm +1.

Here is my +1 too.  I propose adding to the project plan:
" With respect to GTK 3 themes: the guaranteed to work theme is Adwaita. Eclipse SDK will run with other GTK themes, however we cannot flag these as reference versions without significant community support for testing and/or development of fixes. Bugs only reproducible with themes other than Adwaita will be given a lower priority (or may not be fixed at all), compared to bugs which are reproducible on the target environments listed above."

McQ.