Re: [eclipse-pmc] New Top Level Project Charter

On Wednesday, October 10, 2018, Mike Wilson <Mike_Wilson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Honestly, at this point, it feels to me like the Eclipse Foundation has decided that the Eclipse Project legacy doesn’t matter as much as some convenient naming point. If that’s true...

As a former board member who listened and participated to marketing discussion last year, this is definitely true.
I did support, with some concers, the resolutions for clarifying some branding. Back then, I didn't anticipate how this «trademark-able» constraint (which I can't recall whether Board got explained or not) would be putting unnecessary risk and harm on the project.
However, there is nothing Board can't change... and at this point I don't see any other lever if we can't find a name that fits both project and current foundation constraints.
The big question is whether we still have realistic hope to find such a name or not.
I personally feel there is still room for solution before escalating, by allowing ourselves to go toward 7-words TLP names a-la «Eclipse Rich Client Platform and Workbench SDK».

--
Mickael Istria