RE: [eclipse-pmc] Draft deprecation policy

Looks good to me!

Dani

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |John Arthorne <John_Arthorne@xxxxxxxxxx>                                                                                                          |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |eclipse-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx                                                                                                                           |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |03.11.2009 16:07                                                                                                                                  |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  |RE: [eclipse-pmc] Draft deprecation policy                                                                                                        |

Thanks for the comments Martin. Based on all the feedback and our
discussions in the PMC calls, I have updated the draft to use only time
periods instead of a fixed number of releases. I.e., deprecated API will
stick around for two years rather than two releases. This avoids the
problem of putting too much emphasis on the release "marketing" number.

I also removed the sentence about not removing deprecated API if release
train projects rely on it. The intent was that we would work with the
community and try to accommodate their needs - maybe they have a very good
reason why they can't switch off the deprecated API and we want to be good
citizens rather than unilaterally breaking people. However I don't think
such an inflexible rule needs to be baked into our policy. We already have
this paragraph which conveys the same message:

"Objections raised to the announced removal will be considered, and options
such as delaying removal, abandoning removal, or supplying compatibility
support for affected clients will be considered based on community
feedback."

I didn't get into specifics about tooling-friendly markup, such as the
@until we have been discussing. We got bogged down in the semantics of the
tag arguments and don't want that to hold us back from making progress. As
you said we can add more detail in the policy later if we do start using
such tags.

My second attempt at the policy can be found here:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse/API_Central/Deprecation_Policy

John

 "Oberhuber, Martin"
 <Martin.Oberhuber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 Sent by: eclipse-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx                               To
                                                        <eclipse-pmc@eclip
                                                        se.org>
 10/27/2009 05:42 PM                                                    cc

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to                          RE: [eclipse-pmc]
          eclipse-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx                       Draft deprecation
                                                        policy

Hi John,

this looks very good! Things that I noticed:
      In the section about major releases: "For example if an API is
      deprecated in release 3.9" you may want to better pick "3.6" as
      example for clarity.
      I do not understand the section "In addition, the Eclipse Project
      will not delete deprecated API as part of an Eclipse Foundation
      simultaneous release..." If this is an additional constraint, it
      means that at the point where project X has been "unable to cease
      using deprecated API" that API had been announced for removal for 2
      years already! Now if an Eclipse Foundation Release Train project is
      unable to cease using API that's scheduled for deletion, that is a
      bad sign of the state of that project, isn't it? Should such a
      project be allowed to remain on the release train?
      Having that statement in there seems to be unnecessarily weakening
      our position on API deprecation and deletion. We should not make the
      rules softer forrelease train projects, but we should be making them
      harder!
      The section about "Announcing API Removal" does not specify any
      technique for how the "to be deleted" status of API would be
      processable by automated tools. This may not be necessary in the
      context of this policy though. I remember having controversial
      discussions about how to do the markup, and the question of markup
      should not be holding up the policy. But we may want to add markup
      information in an addendum at a later point in time.
      A corollary of your policy is that at any point X in time, the
      current snapshot of the porting guide in CVS has the exact list of
      API to be removed from the Eclipse project as well as the times when
      removal is scheduled to occur. It may be worth explicitly noting
      this.
Thanks for taking action on this policy!

Martin