Re: [eclipse-pmc] Draft deprecation policy

John,

Looks good overall. You mention the rules for service releases and subsequent minor (annual) releases. But you don't mention the rules for major releases. It may be obvious because major releases can have breaking changes which implies deprecated API may be removed without warning. Is that the intention here? Major releases may remove deprecated API without the 2 year warning? I believe that is the case but it may be worthwhile to clarify in the deprecation policy.

Tom

Inactive hide details for John Arthorne ---10/26/2009 08:35:20 AM--->Is it acceptable to deprecate something and simultaneouslyJohn Arthorne ---10/26/2009 08:35:20 AM--->Is it acceptable to deprecate something and simultaneously announce an intention to remove it? So then you >deprecate and ann

John Arthorne <John_Arthorne@xxxxxxxxxx>

eclipse-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx

10/26/2009 08:35 AM

Re: [eclipse-pmc] Draft deprecation policy

>Is it acceptable to deprecate something and simultaneously announce an intention to remove it? So then you >deprecate and announce in 2.0, it stays in 2.1 and 2.2 but may be gone in 2.3?

Yes, I think so. I just wanted to distinguish in the example between the deprecation date and the date we announce intent to remove an API - otherwise we could just start deleting things today that have been deprecated for several years already, and nobody would have any advance notice of the removal.

John

Jeff McAffer <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: eclipse-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

10/23/2009 09:09 PM

Please respond to
eclipse-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx
eclipse-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Re: [eclipse-pmc] Draft deprecation policy

Looks good John. Comments/questions:

In the Retention Policy section there is the following:
"In at least two subsequent minor (annual) releases after the release in
which the intent to remove the deprecated API is
announced. For example
if an API is deprecated in release 2.0, and the intent to remove the API is

announced in release 2.1, it will continue to exist in 2.2 and 2.3, but may
be deleted in 2.4 and beyond. "

Is it acceptable to deprecate something and simultaneously announce an intention to remove it? So then you deprecate and announce in 2.0, it stays in 2.1 and 2.2 but may be gone in 2.3?

Jeff