RE: [eclipse-pmc] post 3.4.2 builds

I recognize that our consumers need to get fixes, and I believe that the two maintenance releases we do over the course of the year do a pretty good job of addressing the important ones. But our policy has always been that once 3.x.2 is out the door, we are done with 3.x; people who want fixes post that should take patches themselves, or move to 3.x+1. There are many reasons for this, including:

- We want our consumers to move with us as we go forward. If we keep old streams alive, we make it easier for them to not step up to new versions, which in the short term reduces the amount of testing we get, and in the long term could lead to stagnation for the project.

- After 3.x.2, our focus shifts to development for 3.x+1. Diluting that focus by keeping old streams alive means that we get to do less new stuff. This is bad both because it makes the new release less interesting, and because our developers have to spend more time doing the boring(!) work of backporting.

- We don't ship crap. I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I'm not willing to have a new "release" go out that is "not well tested together". Minimally, if we were going to do this, it would require some level of testing/sanity checks, and that again would dilute the focus. (And that's not talking about the extra burden on rel. eng., and bug triage, and...)

As far as I'm concerned, keeping streams going after the next yearly release is -1.

Of course, there's another side to this, which concerns the kind of commitment companies who ship products on top of Eclipse make to ensure that those products continue to meet the needs of *their* customers, year after year. I fully understand if a company wants to invest in fixing old versions of our plug-ins to support products they've sold. Indeed, IBM puts considerable resources into doing that, and some of those resources come from my team. That doesn't mean that the Eclipse Project should take on the burden of maintaining an n-way union of all fixes that *somebody* needs.

McQ.

Inactive hide details for Steve Northover---12/03/2009 13:11:06---Let's change "totally untested" (a poor choice of words on mySteve Northover---12/03/2009 13:11:06---Let's change "totally untested" (a poor choice of words on my part) to "not well tested together".

Steve Northover/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA

eclipse-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx

12/03/2009 13:11

RE: [eclipse-pmc] post 3.4.2 builds

Let's change "totally untested" (a poor choice of words on my part) to "not well tested together".

"Oberhuber, Martin" <Martin.Oberhuber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: eclipse-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

03/12/2009 06:39 AM

Please respond to
eclipse-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx
<eclipse-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
RE: [eclipse-pmc] post 3.4.2 builds

Hi there,

regarding "completely untested": Community clients want the fix, perhaps even contribute the fix, so I'd expect that they also test the fix? In the case of post-3.4.2 builds I'd see the Eclipse project not so much as a "product" providing well-tested ready consumable stuff. In my opinion, the Eclipse Project would be providing infrastructure (in the form of running scheduled builds and an update site).

The important point is that Client X who adopts a given fix at a given moment in time doesn't get broken by client Y later. In this sense, any "Check for updates" functionality may be problematic, since those clients really want to deploy what they have tested only. Perhaps it would be better in this case to not even provide an update site, but provide downloadable artifacts only (i.e. an M-build containing the standard ZIPs as well as a zipped Repo for those who consume p2 in their build scripts).

Cheers,

--

Martin Oberhuber
, Senior Member of Technical Staff, Wind River

http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm