[eclipse-pmc] preparing to graduate API tooling

PMC and others,

We are preparing to graduate the API tooling component from the PDE incubator to the Eclipse project. Our top level wiki page can be found here:

        http://wiki.eclipse.org/PDE_UI_Incubator_ApiTools

I have requested a graduation review with the EMO. For the 3.4 release we will be focused on delivering the following critical features:

* Javadoc tags for documenting API rules in classes, interfaces, and methods (effectively replaces the old 'component.xml')
* A user interface to define and manage "API profiles" (used for comparison purposes)
* An integrated builder that reports API usage and binary compatibility errors with a previous release
* Support to flag and quick fix missing @since tags and incorrect bundle/plug-in version numbers
* Workspace and project specific settings for API problem severities
* Support to filter/suppress known/allowed API breakage problems

We will also investigate other feature such as:

* Searching API profiles for use of API and non-API code
* Analyzing versions of prerequisite bundles to determine which are "API compatible" in terms of use (helps determine minimal required versions of prerequisite bundles)

Upon successful graduation, we will want to create some new bundles in the Eclipse project and assign commit rights to developers from the incubator project.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Darin Wright

Back to the top