Re: [eclipse-mirrors] Estimation of the testing efforts on Eclipse plateform SDK based on package level functional testing

Hi Aleem

I think you may have posted this to the wrong mailing list.  This mailing list is for people who provide eclipse mirrors for downloads.

 Please post this message  to the  eclipse.platform newsgroup

http://www.eclipse.org/newsgroups/

Kim

"Aleem Khalid Alvi" <akalvi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: eclipse-mirrors-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

12/05/2006 02:31 PM

Please respond to
Eclipse download mirror administrators discussion and announcements        <eclipse-mirrors@xxxxxxxxxxx>

<eclipse-mirrors@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
"'Aleem Khalid Alvi'" <aleem_alvi@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Dr. Mahmoud Elish'" <elish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject
[eclipse-mirrors] Estimation of the testing efforts on Eclipse        plateform SDK based on package level functional testing

Hello:

I divide my query into more elaborative way through which you can easily understand what I need to know.

Objective:

Based on available source code and JUnit test code of Eclipse platform I want to evaluate the package level functional testing in corresponding to the efforts done for the testability. Also I want to find the reflection of the testing efforts in corresponding to the package level Metrics.

Research Problem:

Our methodology is to accomplish the empirical study for the evaluation of a set of object-oriented package level metrics in relation to predict the effort require for the testing activities. These metrics which has the known effect on testing effort inform us to determine the real factors which affect the testability of the system. These results may come up to final set of refine metrics which has significant effect on testability of the system.

Questions:

We have opened every folder in the Eclipse platform SDK and corresponding to the JUnit test folder of the Eclipse platform. We try to find the efforts in the form of the corresponding same packages for testing to be written in JUnit.

  a- We have seen the problem that if we have selected any package
       from Eclipse testing folder i.e C:\Eclipse JUnit test\eclipse-testing\eclipse\plugins
       and corresponding source folder C:\eclipse-SDK-3.2-win32-latest
       release\eclipse\eclipse\plugins we found that they are different in version number.
       How we identify JUnit test folder which is written for test the corresponding source
       folder. In short how can we find the pair <source, test> in package or other level?

  b- Which files is showing the package level test information; through that we can
      understand the package level functional testing in Eclipse?

  c- Is in the download option in www.eclipse.org all source code and test code of Eclipse
      available. (Because I found no .java files after un jar the .jar files in some test code or
      source )

  d- There is any tutorial available for information about how package level functional
      testing was done in Eclipse project.

I hope for the positive reply as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Aleem Alvi