Re: [eclipse-mirrors] Errors when using the standalone updater to mirror Callisto

Hi Miles

If you are interested in maintaining a local mirror, I suggest submitting a request to become a mirror to the webmaster.

http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/mir_request.php

This page is geared more toward public mirrors but there are certainly private  mirrors. Rsync is much simpler approach, you just add a cronjob and updates automatically appear :-)

That being said, here is how I was able to mirror Caliisto using the update manager.  Please use Eclipse 3.2, not 3.1 because there are are a number of important update bugs that have fixed since 3.1

Create a blank directory for your update site, for example
mkdir /home/kmoir/site

From your eclipse3.2 directory
/home/kmoir/jdk1.4.2_03/jre/bin/java -cp startup.jar org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main -application org.eclipse.update.core.standaloneUpdate -command mirror -from http://download.eclipse.org/callisto/releases  -to /home/kmoir/site -ignoreMissingPlugins true

The mirroring command won't copy the packed jars.  So, after the update site is ready,  you will have to recreate the packed jars using the following command ensuring you use a 1.5 vm
/home/kmoir/jdk1.5.0_06/jre/bin/java -jar startup.jar -application org.eclipse.update.core.siteOptimizer -jarProcessor -outputDir /home/kmoir/site -processAll -pack /home/kmoir/site

Then generate the digest

/home/kmoir/IBMJava2-142/jre/bin/java -jar /home/kmoir/eclipse3.2rc6/eclipse/startup.jar -application org.eclipse.update.core.siteOptimizer -digestBuilder -digestOutputDir=/home/kmoir/site -siteXML=/home/kmoir/site/site.xml

Ensure that your site.xml specifies that it uses pack200 and the specifies the location of the digest...for instance
<site pack200="true" digestURL="http://localmirror/updatesite/">

These steps are summarized here...
http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Platform-releng-faq#How_can_I_run_the_update_manager_from_a_command_line_to_mirror_a_remote_site.3F

For information on how to controlling update policies, refer to this document
http://help.eclipse.org/help32/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.platform.doc.user/tasks/tasks-37.htm

Kim

"Daffin, Miles (IT)" <Miles.Daffin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: eclipse-mirrors-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

07/27/2006 07:36 AM

Please respond to
Eclipse download mirror administrators discussion and announcements <eclipse-mirrors@xxxxxxxxxxx>

<eclipse-mirrors@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
"Cena, Bernard (IT)" <Bernard.Cena@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Eclipse Platform Update component developers list." <platform-update-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject
[eclipse-mirrors] Errors when using the standalone updater to        mirror Callisto

Dear All,

I have been trying to mirror the Callisto Discovery and Eclipse project update sites using the standalone updater (versions 3.1 and 3.2):

Eclipse: http://update2.eclipse.org/updates/3.2
Callisto: http://download3.eclipse.org/callisto/releases

This morning I managed to successfully mirror Eclipse using the 3.2 updater (not tested it yet) but *cannot* successfully mirror Callisto using either the 3.1 or 3.2 updater. I have attached the scripts I used plus the error logs from the various runs to this email. Can anyone tell me what is causing these errors and what I/we can do about them?
Best regards,

Miles
Miles Daffin
Morgan Stanley | EAI | MSDE

20 Cabot Square | Canary Wharf | London E14 4QA | UK
Tel: +44 (0) 20 767 75119

Fax: +44 (0) 20 705 64572
miles.daffin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not intend to waive confidentiality or privilege. Use of this email is prohibited when received in error._______________________________________________
eclipse-mirrors mailing list
eclipse-mirrors@xxxxxxxxxxx