[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
RE: [eclipse-mirrors] Eclipse.org proposed downloads and mirror s election changes
Can you publish the script to something like
Rsync.eclipse.org::just_for_mirrors or something like kernel.org does?
From: WebMaster [mailto:webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 9:35 AM
Subject: [eclipse-mirrors] Eclipse.org proposed downloads and mirror
Greetings to all mirror site maintainers,
I would like to propose a change in the way mirror sites are selected
from the www.eclipse.org website.
- to allow users to select a mirror based on geographic location
- to allow users to select a mirror based on the file they want
- not require mirror sites to host PHP content.
- mirror sites may see an increase in traffic: currently, many users
simply choose the Main Eclipse Download Server to download everything
- users will get faster downloads from localized mirrors
- mirror selection will be easier
- The main downloads page sends the user to a mirror site:
- it is difficult for us to gather download statistics
- some mirrors can not host everything, like nightly builds and the
tools project, therefore the user doesn't know which mirror has the file
- from the mirrors list, it's hard to tell in what country a mirror site is
- not all mirrors wish to host PHP and HTML content
- eclipse.org hosts all the downloads web pages (PHP/HTML)
- a list of current mirrors, categorized by geographic location, is
shown when a user clicks a file to download. Here is an example:
What you should do as a mirror site maintainer:
- Review this proposal, and provide feedback to webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Feel free to provide any feedback related to the mirroring process.
- Make sure you synchronize the TIME files, so we can determine your
mirror site status
- use the attached configurable shell script to mirror Eclipse, and
advise me if you change any of the yes/no options, so I know what you mirror
Thanks again for being an Eclipse mirror site. We appreciate the time,
effort and resources you invest in this activity, and we look forward to
reading your feedback!
Eclipse WebMaster - webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxx
Questions? Consult the FAQ at http://www.eclipse.org/webmaster/faq.html
View my status at http://www.eclipse.org/webmaster/main.html