Re: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] Asynchronous Infrastructure (was:EFS, ECF and asynchronous)

Hi Doug,

Schaefer, Doug wrote:
There's a big difference between "under consideration" and what will actually get done in e4. Even this discussion on asynchronousity, while interesting and important, isn't likely to lead to real code change, IMHO.

Speaking for my project (ECF)...we need asynchronous programming patterns (e.g. futures, async listeners) because async messaging is integral to our support for inter-process communication...and in fact we already have them/use them at the API level. Based upon the previous E4 meetings/discussions (i.e. 'be more asynchronous' as architectural goal) it seems that others also need asynchronous programming patterns (like futures, async listeners, etc), and in some cases have implemented their own (e.g. clients and providers of EFS, DSDP, ECF, Debug, etc., etc.). It would be unfortunate, IMHO, if each subsystem in E4 that needed asynchronous patterns implemented (or just kept) their own in a component-oriented world. With a little discussion and some cooperative design effort, along with all the good work already done (e.g. jobs, the 1.5 concurrent support, DSDP patterns, ECF etc)...I think we can effectively address the 'be more asynchronous' needs...with or without an Equinox-level move to 1.5.

Scott

Back to the top