Re: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] [resources] EFS, ECF and asynchronous

Oberhuber, Martin wrote:
Hi Michael,

to me, the difference between sync and async is not so much
about speed or the number of Threads anymore - it's about
enforcing proper programming patterns. That's something I
actually learned during this discussion.

Exactly! My question is: which calls are made by whom on
EFS? If a most of the efs calls are made to update
the IResource cache, then this batch of calls can be
made in a job and it has to be guaranteed that the
user can cancel it at any time. But then making a
call to get a file attribute async might be an overkill.

Some examples:

* Open a Directory Browse Dialog that happens to be initialized
  with the URI remote://foohost/bar/baz and foohost happens not
to be online. All UI is blocked, you cannot even cancel the request.

==> it makes sense to be async -- or start a job.

* This can even happen with a LOCAL file system, I've seen this
repeatedly: My UNIX homedir is shared via SMB to my Windows machine. In my UNIX home I have some symbolic links that point
  to other NFS-shared folders from machines that are offline.
  Just opening a directory browse dialog takes like forever
  (even on Windows Explorer!)

async or a job would clearly help here

* Dbl click large file foo.txt which is stored on a local SMB
shared, to load into the editor. While loading the file, your network cable gets plugged off for some reason. Depending
  on how the editor loading is implemented, all of Eclipse may
  hang.
* How often have you seen an Eclipse Progress Monitor like
  "Waiting for Refresh Job to complete..." ?
  Is it really necessary that the Refresh Job locks the workspace
  for writing? Or could we allow more concurrency here?

your examples suggest that file loading should not happen in
the UI threat.

Yes, of course you can defer all synchronous queries into Jobs
with Progress etc... but do we actually do that? Not always. And rightly so, because the hassle of creating a Job to make
the synchronous API happy is likely more than dealing with an
async API right away.

Asynchronous APIs just *force* the client to do something useful
until the response of the request comes in. Where "something useful" could be just as simple as allowing a user to press CANCEL.

both cases (putting it into a job or making an async) call are
changing the programming model in a similar way: you have to
wait until the result is back. Async changes the way all EFS
implementations have to be written and the they change the clients.
Jobs change the clients as well, but the EFS implementations can
stay synchronous.

For me the question is who is calling which API of EFS?
If all the calls are done during synchronization by the
resource system, and if this already runs in a job, so
why making EFS async at a fine level of granularity?

And making opening a file async or put it into a job should
be done anyway.

Suppose I want to build some headless application on top of
EFS that runs a kind of batch job. In that case I don't need
async calls. I want process the files sequentially (with maybe
some timeout). But fine granular async calls would make the
API more complicated (in Java).

But as I said before, I have probably a too simplistic view here.....

Michael

As an end user, I'm OK with waiting if I know I must wait. But
I'd like to cancel operations that I believe won't return anyways,
and I'd like to do other stuff in parallel until my request completes.

Cheers,
--
Martin Oberhuber, Senior Member of Technical Staff, Wind River
http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm