RE: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] [resources] EFS IFileTree

Yes, the effect if you don't implement it is that you get N round-trips for a refreshLocal versus 1. The net behaviour will be exactly the same. I believe it's currently only exploited in the refreshLocal implementation (which is the only time we do a deep query over an entire file system tree like this).

John

"Schaefer, Doug" <Doug.Schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: eclipse-incubator-e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

10/17/2008 01:54 PM

Please respond to
E4 developer list <eclipse-incubator-e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"E4 developer list" <eclipse-incubator-e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
RE: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] [resources] EFS IFileTree

That's true. I noticed it when playing with EFS last year. I didn't implement it and things seemed to be fine. Are the clients that use this API right now? If so, I assume the check for null and use the regular slower way?

Cheers,
Doug.

[eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] [resources] EFS IFileTree

I forgot to mention this during the meeting, so I just wanted to mention a little know EFS interface called IFileTree. The idea of this interface was to allow for batched interaction with an entire file sub-tree. This prevents the large number of round-trips needed when a client needs to walk over an entire subtree of a slow/remote file system. It allows you to get a snapshot of an entire remote tree state in a single round-trip. In some experiments we did back in the day, this dramatically sped up certain operations like refreshLocal over a high latency remote tree. I mention it only because it's probably an under-exploited concept that could perhaps be expanded upon to improve performance in remote resource scenarios. I could imagine expanding the idea to allow a client to queue up a whole batch of file changes, that could be fired off in a single round-trip to the remote system for processing.

John